Progress

"Are you alright my love?" Missy asked, looking at you with concern at your small space out.

"Yeah" you replied with a small smile "I'm fine I was just...thinking" you mumbled to her "haven't been in this room in a long while.."

The doctor sighed a little at that "yeah well..we did achieve a lot when we were in this room. Sometimes I couldn't help but smile every time we were here. I know you did too. You were proud of yourself" she smiled at yo, making you hum in response.

"I also had a lot of panic attacks in here.." you mumbled, looking around while fidgeting nervously.

"I know" the doctor said softly "but we're gonna go slow okay? I'll only move to make contact once you're ready. I don't think the element of surprise would go very well here" she told you.

You nodded your head in response "shall we just get along with it then?" You asked quietly.

"If you're ready" the doctor nodded her head.

"I don't think I'll ever be ready but I kind of want to get back to bed sometime today so..." you sighed.

Missy rubbed your arm soothingly before the doctor sat down on the floor. You also did the same, sitting opposite her. Though you definitely made sure to keep your distance, not wanting your knees to brush or anything by accident. Your heart was already pounding you were worried the two time ladies in the room would be able to hear it.

Missy furrowed her brows in confusion a little, seeing you both sit down before she slowly aid the same, sitting down next to me.

"Is this what you guys usually do during these sessions? Sit on the floor?" Missy asked, making you nod your head in response.

"Yeah. I guess it's more comfortable" you mumbled a little, making her nod her head.

"Okay" the doctor started off "I can already tell you're not too comfortable so I just want you to try and calm yourself down." She told you gently.

"Okay" you whispered before taking in a deep breath.

"That's good. Deep breaths. In and out really slowly" the doctor encouraged, and you did as you were told "try and relax your muscles. Especially your shoulders. Lose all that tension"

You lowered your shoulders and continued to breathe, feeling every muscle in your body start to relax, including your hands, which were no longer in slight fists, but calm and relaxed. You could just feel your whole body reacting and starting to get less tense.

"Okay" the doctor said quietly "relaxed?" She asked.

You smiled a little before nodding your head "relaxed" you replied to her with a calm voice.

"Okay good. Now, I want you to stay like this okay" the doctor said to you, while Missy just sat beside you observing "there's a big gap between us both. I'm just going to try and move closer to you a little bit okay"

You immediately tensed your at that, staring at her with fearful eyes. She quickly put her hands up, trying to calm you down.

"Relax. I'm not going to make contact or anything I promise. I'm just going to move closer." She said quietly, making you swallow nervously "just keep breathing. Relax your muscles. Remember. If it helps you can count up in your head every time you breathe in and out" the doctor said softly, trying to reassure you.

You could tell Missy was forcing herself to stay out of this and not help you or hug you or anything. She knew you needed to do this and it would help. And the whole point was to try and make contact with someone other than herself. She just had to bite her tongue and try to reassure you while not stepping in.

You watched as the doctor started to slowly and carefully shuffle closer to you. You forced yourself to keep breathing while she did that. Though the urge to stop and just panic while squeezing up into a ball was really strong. You were utterly terrified.

But you counties to breathe and try to keep your muscles nice and relaxed, though obviously making sure nothing touched you. You did as the doctor suggested and counted in your head, trying to maintain a steady breathing rate. The last thing you wanted was to choke on your own breath and struggle to breathe. You sometimes even passed out when you did that! And you really didn't need that happening today. Your heart rate was already through the roof, as much as you were trying to control that too.

You gulped when she finally stopped moving, realising you're breathing was a lot louder now. But she wasn't making contact anywhere, which helped you to calm down a lot. You felt yourself really start to get at ease now, properly, your heart rate finally dying down again.

You weren't entirely comfortable with how close she was sitting next to you. There was barely any space between you both, so you made sure to stay extra still as not to accidentally end up making contact.

"There" the doctor said softly, making you look up into her hazel eyes while she smiled at you "that's good isn't it"

You nodded your head in response before smiling a little "yeah. It is..."

"Okay. Well I think that's enough for today. You can go to bed now. I think you need a good rest after everything we've been through today" the doctor said while standing up.

You titled your head in confusion while furrowing your brows a little. She was just getting up and leaving like that? You hadn't even made contact or anything yet.

"Wait that's it?" You asked while getting up, Missy being quick to help.

The doctor smiled at that "of course. I think we've made progress today. You've let me know that I'm able to get close to you. And you've learnt to control your fear and breathing. I think that's progress enough for one day" she smiled.

You smiled back at that before feeling a lot better about yourself.

"Thank you doctor" you said softly.

"You're very welcome (y/n). And goodnight" the doctor replied with her seemingly permanent smile.