Track

Warning: references to suicidal actions

You watched the cctv footage. You recognised the people just going for a walk or making their ways down like a normal day. Or night, they were at different times. You were feeling incredibly uncomfortable as it was with the idea of watching a murder take place. But actually seeing it was so much worse.

A woman with dirty blonde hair came up to them. She was holding some sort of circular device in her hand. Her other hand was in the pocket of her coat. The doctor was right when she said she'd look completely normal and human. You wouldn't have known she was anything strange until the next part came up.

You could see each murder individually on the different screens all playing at once. She was talking to the victims, and they seemed to get more and more distressed. You noticed her other hand was no longer in her pocket. Some of the victims were full blown crying at this point.

And then some kind of small laser was shot directly at their chests. They started to choke and all the while, the woman was closing her eyes, as if taking in some kind of energy. And the circular disk thing she was holding lit up like a lightbulb.

Then they dropped dead. Even though the footage had no noise, you could practically hear the thud of them falling to the ground. It was shocking. Disgusting. Scary...

You all stood there in silence for a while, the footage having come to an end by now. The doctor sighed, looking around.

"She's the person we're looking for. She's the host, the body that has been snatched. She's being used to do all of this. The question is, what was that disk she was holding? And why did it light up after each death? And what is she planning to do?" The doctor asked, staring at the screens.

"I'll get to running background info on the woman. We can work from there" Tosh said, getting to another computer.

"Yes! That would be great" the doctor said.

Jack stared at the screens, seemingly deep in thought. Then she turned around to the doctor, a strange look in his eyes.

"These creatures inside of her...if the host dies...does it get killed too?" He asked.

"Yes you idiot that's why they've been thought to be extinct. Sometimes they even kill their host bodies to destroy the planet, in turn, killing themselves" Missy snapped, obviously still disliking Jack "try to keep up"

Jack rolled his eyes, ignoring her "that was all I needed to know"

"Hold on, what about the host? Is she okay?" Yaz asked.

The doctor sighed "there's no way to tell. No one ever knows. They're either still alive in there or...she's already gone" she said in a low tone, looking down with a small sigh.

Jack nodded his head "well if we're going to go after her we need to know how to protect ourselves. She's killing people everywhere"

The doctor looked like she was about to argue but before she got the chance, Tosh spoke up.

"I've got the background check on her. Her name is Hannah Greenwood. She seems to be an ordinary person from the looks of things. Nothing particularly special about her. Is there a reason why they choose specific hosts?" She asked.

"No, it could be anyone" the doctor said.

"Is there any way we can find out where she'll be?" Jack asked.

"She works down by the high street. She must be going there, it's jam packed full of people all the time there" Owen said.

"Yeah except it's a bank holiday today" Gwen added.

"Of course, no shops are open, therefore no customers" Graham nodded his head.

"And so no new victims for Hannah. Meaning she might not be there at all" Yaz said.

"Great, so she could be anywhere" Ryan said.

"Not unless we pay her a visit before she figures that out." Jack spoke up.

"And play the victim?" Graham asked confused.

"Well, sure. But if we can get her out to play, then we can capture her" the doctor said.

You moved away from everyone, needing a moment to yourself. You let them bicker about something else which you didn't pay attention to. You saw down on the stairs, staring ahead of you.

You'd only just woken up from trying to commit suicide. And all of a sudden you were back to saving people and aliens and confusion. Your mind couldn't take it all. Especially when you weren't in the right state of mind for this yet.

The doctor said your friends were the fuel that kept the fire burning. But you were afraid your fire had been put out long ago. And no matter how much fuel is added, without smoke, there's no fire.

You sighed heavily, rubbing your eyes and your face. You were so tired. To just have a moment of peace was all you wanted. But you were afraid of the memories and nightmares.

The outside world seemed to fade away, even as the shoutings and arguments got louder in the background. Whatever they were arguing about was probably more important than you anyways. You just couldn't see yourself as important enough at the moment. You couldn't see a need for you. Or a reason to continue.

You didn't regret wha you did.

You looked down to your bandaged up hands and arms. The doctor worked magic. Even if you didn't want this.

"Here" a voice startled you back into reality.

You looked up and stared emotionlessly at Gwen who was holding a gun out in front of you. You laughed in irony, standing up and taking the weapon.

"If we're gonna go out after her, we all need to be armed and protected. Just, point and shoot. Try not to close your eyes and don't point it to yourself or anyone else" she explained.

You shook your head, staring at her.

"You just gave a gun to a suicidal and depressed ass person. What do you think I'm gonna do with it" you said.

She stared in shock as you lifted up the weapon to your forehead.

You pulled the trigger.