Shot

"Wait!" You shouted, holding up your hands "didn't you listen to a word I just said?!"

"Nope" she replied, popping the 'p' "you're just another boring human of whom I didn't listen to at all. Actually I did. It's quite amusing to see how much some of you pathetic people care about your lives" she sniggered.

You stared at the dart in her hand, swallowing thickly "well...if you asked a few minutes ago I would have been begging you to do it" you told her "but I've realised something. As much as life throws bad things at you, you're always gifted with the greatness of it all too. My dad..he was a good person. We had some amazing times. And the doctor has shown me amazing things. I want to make more good memories like that. Take every opportunity I have. Just...smile. If you just stop for a moment and realise how amazing life can be...you'll see it to. Realise you don't have to kill" you told her.

You smiled genuinely, for what felt like the first time in forever. You remembered every Christmas with your dad. That was the reason you went to see him. To see how he changed. How he was a good man. That was why...

"You know, I'm getting sick of your talking." She sneered.

"What's the point of all of this?!" You shouted at her "of killing these people? Of killing yourself in the process? Why? No one will ever remember you. You won't even live to tell the tale. Not that it's a honourable tale to tell. You killed billions of innocent people! Just stop and think, think about how wrong you are. There's no need for this" you tried to convince her.

She rolled her eyes "you don't stop talking do you" she smiled "well, seeing as you were so desperate to die earlier, why not now?" She asked, raising the dart to your heart.

You swallowed in fear, keeping your hands up. You didn't want to. You realised now, you understood how life had its moments. And you weren't going to sit around moping and creating more bad memories. But you were going to go out there and make memories worth looking back on.

"Just stop this. Please, you don't have to do this" you tried to reason desperately.

"Actually..." she grinned "I do. You see, one more death and this thing is fully powered. One more death and I can open the rift. One more death, and everything ends. I would give you a chance to say goodbye but...there's no one to miss you if the world is gonna end"

"It won't end, I'm from the future" you shouted "the world is still there in the future or else I wouldn't be here. I'm a time traveler and I know that the world doesn't end today" you told her confidently.

She raised a brow, the thought of that being a dead corpse sending a shiver down your spine.

"Time can be rewritten. You should know that. It's always in flux. And I'm writing it right now. Goodbye sweetheart. You were definitely the most morally high person I've had the pleasure of killing" she said, raising the dart.

"No! Wait!" You shouted desperately, closing your eyes as she prepared herself to shoot.

Your heart was racing in fear and you stood with your eyes closed tight, your hands shaking above your head. Just then you heard a big shot, and you flinched, expecting pain to follow the gunshot.

However it never came. You stood, shaking and confused, wondering if you were dead right now. You were expecting it to be a little more painful or at least eventful.

You slowly opened your eyes, to find a familiar face stood there in his old jacket, pointing a smiling gun in front of him. It was Jack. He was alive! Actually alive! And...his gun had been fired.

You felt your breath getting heavier, looking down and feeling every muscle in your body tense and freeze at the sight you saw in front of you.

Hannah, her body lay on the ground, with a huge gunshot to her head, blood everywhere and her eyes still open. You could feel yourself start to shake and go into shock at staring at the body. Blood was seeping out of the shot to her head, and you could see her skull cracked and shards sticking inwards and at unnatural angles, her brain spewing out of her head.

Jack walked forward, taking the circular disc device that controls the rift, plucking it out of her cold dead hand. Your hands were shaking badly as they remained beside your head, frozen in place. You couldn't move a limb.

"The world doesn't end today" Jack said, his voice low.

You stared at the body, feeling your heart rate spike and rocket. Jack pressed against his ear, contacting with the other members as he spoke through the radio.

"We've got her. I'm sending her in now" he spoke before placing something on her chest.

He pressed a few things and before you knew it, she was gone, teleported back to the HQ.

You stood there though, even though every atom of her existence had just been transferred away. Even the bloodstains on the pavements were no longer there. You could still see her dead body. The one Jack shot right through. Her whole head had been blasted. Her eyes felt like they were still watching you.

You should have been able to save her. It shouldn't have had to come to this. It always seemed to end like this. Blood, death...

There was so much blood. You could still see it all. You hated how Jack just shot her. He could have tried something else. You knew it was...maybe necessary. But you just wanted peace. You didn't want there to be anymore death around you.

Jack noticed you not moving and sighed, walking towards you and gently taking your shaking hands into his, making you look at him with scared and shocked eyes.

"Come on" he said gently "let's get ourselves out of here"