Wolf

You were starting to shuffle slightly closer to the fire, trying to keep warm as temperatures dropped. Karmilla was kind enough to give you one of her jackets. She said she didn't mind the cold, as her species didn't really feel the cold like humans did. The more you travelled the more you realised how fragile humans really were compared to everyone else.

Then you wondered if you would ever even travel again in your life after this. to think you would never step foot on that TARDIS again...or see another planet and just sit and stare in awe, or run away from an alien that was threatening the whole world.

Or that you would never see the doctor again, or Yas or Graham or Ryan...or Missy..

It was like history repeating itself again. Years without anyone...all over again. You didn't know if you could do that. There was nothing you could do to contact them either...your phone was back on the TARDIS, just lying in your room.

You bit your lip at that thought, your throat clogging up while you corked up into a ball, bringing your knees to your chest and wrapping your arms around them, burying your face in your knees. You had lost too much...you missed them already. It was like life itself was trying to rip those most precious away from you...even your own baby.

"Hey, don't be upset" Karmilla spoke up "the night won't last that long. And once you've had something to eat and a nice sleep we'll get you back to the village" she told you.

You shook your head before sniffling, bringing your head back up with a long, heavy sigh. You felt defeated...they may never find you...or even if they would it could end up being years again. What would you say to your brother and sister..?

"I'm not really tired" you mumbled, your lips tugging into a frown.

She simply nodded her head, giving you the space you needed. You didn't really know what to say anyways.

Soon Cobi came back in his wolf form, now being permanently in that form. He also had a dead animal of some sort in his mouth, completely dead.

"Lovely" you whispered.

"Yes it is, it's our dinner. Don't worry, I'm a professional at cooking this kind of food" Karmilla smiled simply, making you nod your head while sighing.

"You know Cobi" you spoke up while Karmilla started to cut up and cook the meat "your wolf looks like your mother's did" you smiled.

"It does?" He asked, looking at himself while sitting down again "could you tell me more about my parents. All I have is that picture you drew me of them..."

"You still have that?" You asked, slightly surprised.

"He has it framed in his room" Karmilla laughed softly while you smiled in response.

"Well I don't have any visual memories of them. Just that drawing of what they looked like" Cobi told you.

"Well...both your parents had green eyes, like yours. They were really beautiful. I remember you as a baby, your eyes were wide open and you used to grab people's noses and growl at them" you chuckled softly at the memory.

"The chief said you used to do that a lot too, remember Cobi" Karmilla chuckled lightly, smiling.

"Yeah. I learnt to howl too soon after" Cobi added.

It was a little weird that you were literally talking to a talking wolf right now...literally! It had been a long time since you had done anything like this, though the memory of Cobi's parents were fresh in your mind.

"Can you howl for me?" You asked, kind of excited "I've always wanted to see a wolf howling. And coming from a huge wolf like yourself..that's got to be cool!" You said.

He nodded his head in response while Karmilla smiled and gave him a loving look. You could tell he was really loved here. Hopefully his parents were good to him too. The chief seemed nice last time you came here, and his wife always wanted kids, especially after the accident. You had every faith he was treated well and was well loved.

"He loves to howl. Go on babe" Karmilla giggled.

You watched while Cobi threw his head back into the air and let out a loud howl that rang through the whole forest.

You stared in mesmerisation, feeling yourself start to smile as he continued to howl. It was such an iconic thing, a wolf howling...and he was doing it right in front of you. It was amazing to see. You couldn't believe it. And watching the moon just up too made it all the more better, the fire raging beside you. You had always wanted to witness this, it was so worth it.

Cobi finally stopped howling and you smiled and laughed a little, even giving him a small applause.

"That was awesome!" You exclaimed with a smile "I've always read about wolves howling or whatever, it's even better in person. Not to mention how loud that was" you told him.

"Thanks" Cobi replied with a small chuckle, your lips in a wide smile.

"Here" Karmilla handed you some of the cut pieces of cooked meat on one of these really big leaves.

"Thank you" you mumbled in response before holding it and watching the others casually eat away at it.

You were a little more hesitant, never having actually eaten something literally caught and cooked in less than an hour. But you would have been lying if you said you weren't hungry, and it wasn't like you could exactly choose what you wanted right now. You could have been dead not so long ago. You were supposed to have been, it was all by luck that you managed to survive.

You took one of the pieces and forced yourself to get it in your mouth and chew it. Luckily, to your surprise, it wasn't nearly as bad as you thought it would be.