CHAPTER 33

Lanecea had no way of knowing how she had gotten from kneeling between Storm's legs to being held on Thorson's lap, but it wasn't the only realization flooding her soul as she crashed immediately after hitting the stars

Lanecea had no way of knowing how she had gotten from kneeling between Storm's legs to being held on Thorson's lap, but it wasn't the only realization flooding her soul as she crashed immediately after hitting the stars. Power had also changed hands and Lani could feel it straight to her bone marrow.

"Why are you crying?" Thorson attempted to dry the tears tumbling down her cheeks with his free hand while holding her close with his other arm, before leading her away from the couch so Herja wouldn't hear their conversation, still unaware of Lanecea's presence.

For a long moment, only the rhythmic slapping of flesh against flesh filled the living room as Lanecea attempted to untangle the knotted mess of her overwhelming emotions.

"May I tell you how I'm feeling please?" Lanecea whispered, needing to start from the beginning as she attempted to sort through her tangled, overwhelming emotions, realizing she needed help to unravel them all.

Gazing out the window with unseeing eyes, Queen Lanecea wished, once again, that she was back at the castle but couldn't find her way home on her own. She'd really made a huge mistake when she'd run through the portal without thinking things through, Storm's summons drowning out her common sense.

"Of course."

"I'm feeling sad and confused."

"Why is my priestess sad and confused?"

"I've done my best to be a very good girl and be the greatest queen in history as well as the most devout and loyal priestess, but in the end, it never really mattered. My heart was still betrayed - my king couldn't wait for me. I'm struggling with trust and feel confused because my very identity feels shattered into a million pieces, along with my heart. I feel as helpless as I did as a child with my dad. I know it's silly, maybe, but I'm struggling with these emotions and I need help, please. My brain and heart are a tangled mess and I'm lost - I have no idea how to get back to the portal on my own... The king doesn't know where I am and my children need me. I wasn't thinking..."

"It's not silly how you feel - I'm glad you told me what's on your heart. You are a good girl and always were. You don't have to trust everyone, you just have to trust me. I'll never hurt you. My dad's soul is devoted to you and so am I. You have nothing to be ashamed of - you did nothing wrong and deserve much better. We'll figure out how to get you back home. Dad will help you after Mom goes to sleep. He always knows what to do."

"Thank you for helping my heart, Prince. I really do love you."

Storm didn't interrupt, keeping Herja preoccupied. He didn't like to see Lanecea cry, his own chest squeezing at the sight, but things were complicated. Storm was certain his soul would be searching for Lanecea, unwilling to be apart from her for long, very likely beside himself with worry if she hadn't told him before leaving. 

Everything - almost - was going according to plan. 

The dog barked at the insistent rapping at the door before whimpering as he lay down, falling silent at a command only he could hear.