CHAPTER 37

Perhaps it was Thorson's fresh betrayal or her encounter with her body less than ten minutes prior, or, most likely it was due to the fact that Lanecea really was far softer than she was ruthless - whatever the case may be, by the time they reached the rapidly-flowing river, Lanecea was having second thoughts.

"Please..." Lanecea began, although still trying to collect her thoughts, but she didn't get far as Tarvos stepped toward them with Reaghan still perched on his back.

"Mamma! You'll never guess what!" Reaghan didn't wait for her mother to guess before blurting out the good news, completely forgetting to keep her divine little mouth shut. "Your curses work really fast! Isn't that right, Tarvos? I wasn't even gone for five minutes before it struck and there was nothing Catherine could do to stop it. You should have been there!"

"Reaghan! It was supposed to be our secret."

"Oops," Reaghan didn't look sorry at all as Tarvos helped her down from his back. 

Reaghan's declaration had the desired effect as Lanecea smiled as though it were Christmas morning.

"This changes everything!" Lani's voice was breathless in delight. 

If her curse worked so efficiently on Catherine, there was a possibility it would also work on vampires.

Tarvos, thankfully, distracted Lanecea at that very moment as he reached into a satchel strapped to his side. 

"Alright, let's go over the paperwork one more time. I won't be accompanying you into the fort for obvious reasons, but will be standing guard. Here is a letter of introduction...I wasn't sure if I should put 'The Cummings' but it doesn't sound quite right."

"That's cus it's supposed to be 'The Cumming Family'," Revna attempted to help, then grinned as she watched her mamma pinch the bridge of her nose to prevent bursting into laughter, not that it did any good, the poor woman succumbing to giggles a second later.

"Oh gosh," Lani attempted to catch her breath and not draw unneeded attention as she laughed her head off. "I think perhaps I should, um, be out of earshot when you make that announcement, however perfect the name is."

Storm grinned but didn't disagree, the man still smiling down at his struggling-not-to-laugh queen when she suddenly reached out and gently tugged on his arm.

"We can't go through with this. It isn't right. What about Thorson?"

"What does Thorson have to do with this? Lani?"

"Tarvos is right - we are The Cumming Family therefore Thorson needs to be here too, besides, this is the chance of a lifetime. It is important for his education."

Lanecea wasn't speaking as Thorson's future wife anymore but as his mother, her voice solemn although her eyes still betrayed their sadness. 

"Please, My King. Let's go back for him...actually, on second thought, the babies will still be there tomorrow, I'm sure, and that will give Tarvos time to make the correction on this document. I have a surprise..."

Storm didn't disagree with Lanecea's change in their plans, but neither did he move a muscle as he frowned.

"No surprises."

"Oh, don't worry, it's the good kind - I promise. I've been working on this for some time now and wanted to give it to you as a gift - to show the depth of my love for you and to thank you for your patience with me."

Storm raked his fingers through his hair before agreeing to the change of plans.

"Alright, we'll head back home, but Thorson needs to be disciplined. He will remain grounded until we leave tomorrow."

"Thank you," Lanecea slipped her hand within Storm's as he led them back toward the portal not far from the cemetery.

"My King?"

"Yes?"

"It is a surprise, but I think you would enjoy your gift a little more if you invited a few men over this evening. It is up to you, of course, but I was thinking that Dieter, Hans, and their sons would especially enjoy watching you receive my gift and I would love to spend time with their wives afterwards. Would that be alright? With your permission, I was thinking the girls could have a sleepover with their siblings in the grove tonight. They'd be safe and the weather is perfect for camping."

"Of course you have my permission. I need to meet with Hans anyway. What time did you hope to present your gift?"

"After dark, please."

Storm glanced over at Lanecea as they stepped within the Oak Grove, acknowledging that he'd heard her, but didn't say another word as they turned toward home.

****

Revna hadn't realized that Lanecea was wearing a red g-string that perfectly matched her cherry-embroidered apron until her stepmother attempted to climb onto a stepstool.

"Please hold my free hand - I'm afraid of heights," Lanecea called down although the reminder was far from necessary.

Revna rolled her eyes but for a very different reason as she stepped around the stool, coming to Lani's aide while Lanecea reached for a set of mixing bowls that had been out of her reach.

"Why are you wearing that thing? Daddy likes to see you naked."

Lanecea almost lost her balance as Revna released her hand, tugging the pitiful excuse for underwear down Lani's legs before she could answer.

"I'm going to fall!"

"No, you're not. I'm right here."

Lanecea gripped Revna's head just incase before squeezing her eyes tight as she whispered, "I thought it matched my apron and would be a nice touch for when I present his gift tonight."

"Next time ask me first. I think you need to get down..."

Lanecea opened her eyes long enough to look down at her panties draped around her ankles - big mistake. It looked more like shackles than a sexy undergarment  was certain to cause her to crash to the floor if she attempted to move. 

"I'm scared," Lani admitted, clutching the mixing bowls against her exposed cleavage, the cheery apron barely containing her boobs that needed to be milked.

Revna was just about to offer more helpful advice until she saw the look of terror in her stepmother's eyes.

"I've got you," Revna held Lanecea's hips. "Now lean back a little. Okay, that's the counter. Now just wiggle your butt a little and you'll be sitting on top. There. Now don't move."

Lanecea had no intention of moving although sitting on the counter might just be a little worse  - she hadn't quite made up her mind yet.

"Daddy! Dad! Mamma's scared!"

It was impressive how quickly Storm could appear when his lady was in distress and just as quickly burst into laughter at the sight of Lani as pale as a ghost perched on the kitchen counter clutching mixing bowls with white knuckles. 

"I didn't think you'd like to see her wearing panties," Revna explained as she gestured to the red string draped over Lanecea's right foot. "I think that's what started freaking Mamma  out - I tried to undress her for you while she was standing on the stepstool and she was already nervous."

Storm laughed harder as he swept Lanecea into his arms while tossing the offending g-string into the garbage with his free hand.

"You know you could have helped," Storm called out to the goddesses, Llia and Reaghan, who were suffering from a fit of giggles as their father strode from the room, carrying Lanecea with him.

"But you're her hero," Reaghan laughed so hard she toppled onto the floor.

Storm didn't hear Reaghan, rhythmic smashing against the wall drowning out her confession as he bred Lanecea within an inch of her life.