CHAPTER 20

The steady rhythm beneath Lanecea as Storm walked with his queen on his shoulders and the sensation of Thorson's fingers swirling through her nectar-covered thigh was making her very languid. At this rate, the possibility she would accidentally fall asleep, tumbling to her death, was much too high, her fingers weaving through Storm's hair not enough to anchor her should she topple forward, or sideways... Lanecea tightened her hold on Storm's hair, but not enough to alert him to the presence of vampires as her wandering thoughts grew more troubled, imagining the many ways she could fall from such a great height should she accidentally fall asleep. She desperately needed something to think about that would keep her mind alert until he set her down on the ground, which wasn't likely to be anytime soon as they followed Toaro, the man taking his time, apparently in no great hurry to reach their destination.

Herja. 

That was a good topic that would keep her mind alert and her body awake for at least the next several hours, that ball of confused wires a nightmare to untangle. Now was as good a time as any to begin, Lani supposed.

The Oak dryads refused to break the barrier to the grove, allowing the common to see their sacred ground. Although Herja didn't have time to betray Storm, Lanecea, and her priestess friends keeping her far too busy, treachery was treachery and the common would be punished as a result from generation to generation, unable to step on hallowed ground. Lanecea was growing fond of Herja and would have liked to introduce her to Lani and Storm's many other children, but as long as they remained hidden within the grove, that would be impossible now.

Freya, ever gracious, had conceded, becoming visible for Herja's benefit. Surprisingly, she agreed with Lanecea that the queen's court should convene in Storm's living room instead of the oak grove on the days when Herja was off work although it was proving to be more complicated inviting guest speakers to entertain the queen's ladies as Tarvon couldn't attend, neither the faeries and dryads, the common woman unable to see them. Freya, therefore, became their featured speaker for the most part, carefully editing out any reference to magic when she summed up the latest meeting in the grove, telling the great tales in her own words for Herja's benefit. The children were just as regaled by her stories as they had been by the original speakers, as Freya usually told the great tales from her own experience. Her indoor court was steadily growing in size, consisting of priestesses and ones still in training, Lanecea focused on helping them become better wives.

Lanecea accidentally tugged on Storm's hair harder as she her mind drifted to the wives she was training, along with her daughters and theirs. 

"I'm sorry - I didn't mean to pull your hair. There are no vampires, I was just thinking of something but I didn't mean it."

"That's okay," Storm assured her, gently stroking her leg. "Are you alright?"

"No." Lanecea would have said had she told the truth, but instead, she answered just as truthfully, "I'll be alright. Thank you for caring"

It was truly painful on her heart to train married women to be priestesses - exceptional wives. It was not only painful but frustrating. How could women who were so blessed struggle so much? It ripped her heart out, but Lanecea must always be gracious, bottling up her pain and frustration as she focused on helping the women be what she could never receive. Sure, she was a natural-born priestess, but a mistress wasn't a treasured wife. That being said...kinkier aside... Lanecea couldn't help but grin, looking down at Prince Thorson. He had summed her position up perfectly when he said, "It's naughty, but I like it." Lanecea could never be a first-class wife, but that didn't stop her from her new goal of being the most amazing mistress the world had ever seen.