CHAPTER 25

The Wolf Charmers circled the warrior, low chanting filling the oak grove, steadily building as the last of the stars melted away from the sky. The building crescendo imitated the wolves' cry, hauntingly beautiful.

"Certain herbs can also achieve these results," Lanecea's ancestor whispered as they watched the warrior's soul leave his body behind. "It is not recommended in your case or for our women who are almost constantly pregnant."

"I don't understand," Lanecea didn't take her eyes away from the man who stared vacantly into the distance no longer feeling now that his soul had departed, "I was able to leave my body without using herbs or chanting - Storm's soul achieved the same feat as well. How are we different?"

"Trauma," Raulina murmured, placing a gentle hand on Lanecea's arm as she led the younger woman away from the others. "Trauma is what separates you from your body."

Raulina might be correct. It had been very traumatic for Lanecea the fateful morning her father had driven away from their home in front of the apple orchard. Lanecea paled once more at that memory although it had been years since she'd torn herself from her body, fleeing into the forest.

"And Storm? He's never been traumatized, so how did he manage?"

Lanecea couldn't imagine anything traumatizing Storm - he was far too strong to be afraid of anything. 

"Trauma is not always the result of fear," Raulina looked over at her descendant as she passed Lanecea a sprig of herbs, setting a shallow clay dish in front of her. "Losing you was the trauma that caused Storm's soul to leave his body and now, it is his great love for you - his devotion - that enables him to leave his body behind at will."

Lanacea contemplated Raulina's words as she glanced over at Storm who was sitting with their allies among the Wolf Charmers, the men preparing to strike at dawn when the vampires were at their weakest.

"Your body needs you," Raulina drew Lanecea's wandering thoughts back, "it has been too long and unless you reunite with your body, she will remain trapped, the captive of that vampire."

Lanecea made it a point not to think of her body although once in a while she couldn't fight the temptation of checking up on her from the safety of her scrying pond. Without her soul, Lanecea had drifted from one captivity to the next. 

"At least she can't feel," Lani whispered as she removed the fragrant petals, placing them in the dish.

****

Arnulf stepped away from his body a moment before disappearing into the forest. In his flesh he would only be slowed down, the warrior wasting no time in summoning the wolves from east to west, the feared beasts hearing his call before running towards the grove in packs. The sky was already beginning to lighten, signaling dawn's approach.