CHAPTER 21

Lanecea sat on the steps leading up the thrones in the temple, Minerva and Deverra sitting side by side, Llia and Reagan as full goddesses sitting on either side of the Roman goddesses. Lani didn't mind in the least although she could have sat on a throne as well, but she was also a Secret Keeper and loved to see the gods and goddesses receive the worship that they deserved and from her position on the steps, she had the perfect view.

One by one, the Italian women stepped into the temple, their eyes widening at the splendor that had been hidden for years, each holding a dish of food in their hands while leading their sons. Kissing Lanecea's hand, Lani accepted their token of loyalty before motioning for them to offer their gift to the goddesses, both worshipped equally, although it was Minerva who received their sons as she would teach them until they were grown. The boys wouldn't be leaving the shelter of the temple until the time was right. After all, no one with a wicked heart would make it through the gate and live to tell about it.

Lanecea's heart was thrilled at the sight of the Italian women dressed in white, offering gifts to the goddesses before kneeling before them along with their sons as more women approached, following the lead of the ones who had gone before, until the last of the Italian mothers from the previous night knelt before the dais.

"The goddesses have accepted your gifts," Lanecea spoke for the goddesses although Minerva continued to translate. "You are free to come to worship them in the temple and visit with your sons any time you choose. You will always bring a gift to the goddesses when you enter the temple and wearing white is a good choice. Please retrieve three-quarters of the food you each brought and bring it back for your husbands and daughters. You have pleased us."

The women kissed the goddesses' hands, but their eyes were radiant with happiness at the benevolence of their goddesses as they stood to leave bearing more food in their hands than their remaining family could eat in a week. Their sons were in good hands as well, the mothers able to see their children as often as they liked. It was a far better fate than having their boys end up holed up in a monastery.

Tears welled up within Lanecea's green eyes as her boys approached, Angelo and Benito. Like the other boys, hers didn't bring gifts - their little hearts enough as they embraced Lanecea, each receiving a kiss on their cheeks before Lanecea motioned for Angelo to approach the goddesses. Angelo smiled at Deverra but he knelt at Minerva's feet before pressing his forehead on her lap.

"Oh my heart is going to burst," Minerva confessed as the little boy pledged his devotion to the goddess of education.

Minerva's declaration caused Lanecea to feel much better about her decision not to ask Storm's permission to adopt the older of the two boys. Benito, however, was another matter. Lanecea was in love with the child who would be her son if she had her wish, but it wouldn't be fair to the child to leave him behind even with the fairies after the trauma he had endured and bringing the child who couldn't speak English on their adventures wasn't fair either.

"Oh My Little Darling, I want such great things for you," Lani couldn't stop the tears from tumbling down her cheeks as she bid the little boy farewell. "I want to keep you so badly!"

Benito seemed to understand just what Lanecea was trying to express as he held her as tight as possible, raining sweet kisses on her tear-dampened cheeks. It was a good thing that the child was so thin, although Lanecea still struggled to stand while holding the precious little boy. Taking care not to trip although her belly prevented her from seeing her feet and her eyes were blinded by tears Lani kissed Benito's forehead before placing him on Deverra's lap. The gentle goddess would be a wonderful mother to her little Benito.

"Thank you," Deverra whispered, swiping at her own tears as she held Benito against her heart.

Taran and Fintan were not seated on thrones, standing instead on either side of the group of Italian boys. Leaving their companions, they held their mother's hand, sitting on the stairs with her this time as Mrs. Himmler and Revna approached at last, the German woman assisting Revna as she carried her dishes of flowers.

Mrs. Himmler stepped back, allowing Revna to walk the remainder of the way to the dias where the goddesses were seated, but Revna didn't approach Minerva or Diverra, nor her goddess sisters.

Kneeling beside Lanecea, Revna sprinkled crimson and white rose petals on Lanecea's hair and lap before whispering against her hair, "Crimson roses suit you perfectly."

Lanecea's tears flowed even faster than they had when she said farewell to her Benito, but the goddesses didn't seem to mind at all that Revna had forgotten to give them their gifts as she knelt beside her Priestess Mamma, giving the half-goddess her devotion one flower petal at a time. Revna learned very quickly that Lanecea, goddess of fertility and nurturing was very benevolent to those who were devoted to her, Revna having her full attention as she unfastened the top of her gown. In the temple, Revna never had to compete with her siblings, and Lani kept her promise - it was worth the wait.

Mrs. Himmler waited until Lanecea began feeding Revna before she approached the dias as well, sprinkling the purple and yellow flowers on Lanecea's lap before kneeling before her.

"I love you too," Lanecea whispered, stroking Mrs. Himmler's hair as the woman rested her head on her lap, the older woman giving her devotion to Lanecea the goddess as well.

The Roman goddesses weren't jealous or offended in the least. Lanecea wasn't the only one who had a hunch and things had turned out just as it should be.

Lanecea looked up at the goddesses on their thrones as she rewarded her devotees while the Romans rewarded theirs. 

"Thank you, Lanecea," the goddesses spoke in unison which made Lanecea laugh although tears wouldn't stop tumbling down her cheeks. 

Lanecea was cursed with being far too emotional, but no one minded one bit. There wasn't a single soul in the temple who didn't love Lani - the goddess, Secret Keeper, Wolf Whisperer, and their friend.