CHAPTER 6

Lanecea remained in the forest, the dryads and stag warriors keeping guard over their vulnerable queen after Storm reluctantly stepped out of the water, time not on his side

Lanecea remained in the forest, the dryads and stag warriors keeping guard over their vulnerable queen after Storm reluctantly stepped out of the water, time not on his side. It never was. Watching as he disappeared, heading back to the house before Herja woke up, Lani managed to collect her thoughts. She may be thousands of miles from Atlantis, but she had a kingdom to run, and after last night...

Aside from using the house for home economics classes, she rarely stepped foot within those walls, careful to stay out of Herja's way. Although invisible, she didn't want to be a source of contention and besides, being in the same room with that woman clenched her heart with pain even after all these years. It would have been unavoidable had the dryads not pointed out the existence of the Oak Grove as they were leaving Atlantis. It was her saving grace, Lanecea constantly holding court with her ladies as she waited for the return of her king and sons. The weather was still balmy at night, enabling her to sleep under the stars far away from squeaking beds.

"You're going to be late for your lessons," Lanecea smiled, not at all worried though as she kissed a trail up Thorson's neck.

Lifting her out of the water, Thorson entered her in one fluid motion.

"I don't like you out here on your own," Thorson frowned, his fingers digging into Lanecea's ass as he began to pump within her.

"I was just heading back," Lanecea assured him before adding, "to the Oak Grove" just to clarify in case he headed toward the house.

Lanecea wasn't very good at hiding her emotions, the woman like an open book.

"You can't avoid Mom forever. What are you planning on doing this winter if King Storm hasn't returned by then? It's going to be far too cold for you to live out here, even with me covering your delicious body every night."

"Sounds like you're hungry," Lani laughed, avoiding his statement that hit too close to home, but held in Thorson's arms she always felt safe, not only physically but emotionally as well so decided to reveal her heart after all. "Perhaps I would feel better if I knew what to do with her."

"She is my mom. Eliminating her..."

"What's up with everyone assuming I'm going to eliminate her?!" Lanecea was frustrated as Thorson lay her once again on the moss, droplets of water trickling onto the ground. "I'm sorry, Prince, I didn't mean to be so frustrated, but everyone assumes I don't have any creativity or something. Why always assume I'd just eliminate..." Lani was once again at a loss for a descriptive noun that would adequately describe Herja.

Competition? No. Villian? Not as long as Lani was avoiding her.

Lanecea drew her wandering thoughts back to the matter at hand as Thorson raised her hips higher. She only had a few seconds left while her brain was still partially functioning.

"I think she could be useful, I just haven't figured out in what capacity yet. She isn't one of us, so I wouldn't want to risk jeopardizing...and we don't need to be friends, but...oh, I don't know... We will always have a day of mourning throughout eternity but I think I may find peace someday, especially if there was a way she could be used to weaken our enemy or something else of use. What is she good at, but please, for the sake of my heart, don't tell me in great detail how good she is at breeding."