CHAPTER 32

The predators had become prey with no means of escape as the gods and their armies surrounded the cliffs just before dawn

Wolves howled before leading the charge, their fangs already bared as they circled the jagged cliffs, searching for escape routes to block off as their handlers, the Wolf Charmers, continued to chant, their voices heard just above the cool breeze. 

"Keep them in family groups," King Storm gave one last instruction before he and his sons moved to the right, getting into position while Dieter and Hans crouched beneath boulders, their fingers already tugging on their bow's drawstring.

Johann winked at Fintan before the young boy crept forward on his belly, easily slipping beneath a deep crevice in the rocks. His yelp of pain drew the attention of the cannibals, the men emerging from their homes.

Breakfast had landed on their doorsteps.

Cold hands gripped the prince's limbs as they tugged, seeking to dislodge him, one of the younger vampires already attempting to gnaw just above his ankle. Fintan's yelp was genuine this time although he attempted to remain limp as though his injuries prevented him from fighting back.

The gods were circling from behind, unseen by the vampires as Fintan met his father's eyes over the vampire's bony shoulder just before King Storm and his allies descended upon the unsuspecting giants, warcries filling the air mingling with howls and screaming as the women and children attempted to run at the sight of their men and warriors captured without much of a fight, the men defenseless. 

"That's why you should always be armed," King Storm instructed his sons, the boys' education never over. "Never leave yourself in a vulnerable position. Always be vigilant, and aware of your surroundings. Taran, tighten the chain more and lead these toward the forest. Fintan, well done."

King Storm moved away from his sons, binding the women and children together before passing the length of the chain to Fintan.

"Keep these with the captives your brother has. They are from the same family unit. Pay careful attention they don't get mixed up with the other captives."

Dieter looked up as the sky darkened overhead, his own captives already chained as well. 

"It looks like we are going to get a solar eclipse," Dieter pointed out, shielding his eyes from the morning sun.

Thor and Odin had headed north, dealing with the vampires in Northern Europe with Frey assisting while Zeus had led his armies into Asia.

King Storm and the wolf charmers along with the king's sons and the Celt gods focused on central Europe, covering the expanse between Atlantis and Ghaul. 

Tarvos' prey were bleeding profusely from the gaping holes in their pale bodies, but not enough to bleed out. The bull-god didn't bother to chain his prey, their soulless eyes looking warily at his massive horns as they huddled together, not daring to make a sudden move if they didn't want to be impaled on one of his razor-sharp horns.

Without further warning, the sky darkened, the ground beneath them shaking in earnest as it gave way, water spouting out between river-like canyons snaking across the ground.

The sky had darkened, the sun blocked out chunks of rock falling from the sky as lightning struck the ground.

"It's begun," Hans shouted, his voice barely heard above the peals of thunder. "We need to head back to Atlantis now! The queen..."

"There isn't time," Dieter's face paled although he didn't explain further what had him and his German friend so worried. "We need to head for the mountains. Thorson will protect the queen. He knows to take her into the underground tunnels."

King Storm looked between his sons and allies. His boys would survive, after all, they were gods, but his allies wouldn't be so lucky, the men more mortal than divine. 

"Take the captives into the underground. I'll meet up with you later. Tarvos, save the Wolf Charmers - head for the underground caverns until this is over. We will meet back at Atlantis."

"No you won't," Hans raked his fingers through his hair, "You will not be able to reach Queen Lanecea. By the time you can return to Atlantis, it will be too late. Aren't you listening? Forget Atlantis. Even by sea, it will be impenetrable. Atlantis will be destroyed. You can only hope Thorson has paid attention to his history lessons and saved your family. The gods will survive, of course, but at this age without their mother..."

"Where will Lanecea go? She won't attempt fleeing to the mountains, I'm certain. If she waits for me in Atlantis..."

The men didn't speak, attempting to avoid the rocky hailstorm, seeking cover among the trees but it wasn't much of a refuge, the geysers beneath the earth breaking. Even the vampire's fear was tangible but there wasn't anything they could do, linked together in chains.

"Hurry!" The Oak dryads called out to King Storm and his allies. "This way!"

Yanking on the chains, the men followed the dryads, leading the way to the underground passage the dryad warriors carefully guarded, the vampires squinting against the light reflecting off geodes encrusting the walls of the cavern. 

King Storm didn't care about their captives, watching as Tarvos vanished after leaving his captives with the king. He had Wolf Charmers to rescue. The Celt gods had also departed, not joining the king and his sons as they entered the underworld with their spoils of war. They had their people to protect as well.

The king could still feel his queen even from a great distance and something was very wrong.

"We need to return to your mother," King Storm informed the boys as they followed the dryads through the underground maze, Deiter, Hans, and their sons flanking them.

"Thorson will not risk endangering them by leading your queen and children into the mountains. If I know that young man, he would have taken her home."

A muscle clenched in the king's jaw, yet at the same time the fist squeezing his chest relaxed. Storm was far from Atlantis and his farm was the safest place for his family to be when Atlantis was covered by the rising water levels. Their kingdom lying beneath the sea couldn't be saved, barely a footnote in the public school's history books.

Again, King Storm admitted his being separated from his body was an advantage. Despite Storm's shortcomings when it came to protecting Lani's heart, Storm would keep her safe, his queen kept from perishing when the known world was destroyed.