CHAPTER 51

Lanecea's Priestess Brigade worked like a well-oiled machine, but that was not what was on Lani's mind as she held Storm's hand. Nor was Herja and Thorson on her mind, the two joining them this time as they retraced their steps toward Fort Frontenac. History occupied Lanecea's thoughts as they approached the gates of the wooden fortress overlooking the river.

"It would be wonderful if the soldiers could join our forces in Europe," Lanecea began to share her thoughts with Storm. "I know they are likely exhausted after defeating the French, but there really shouldn't be any brother wars, don't you agree? If the French and English were to put aside their differences even for just a little while and join our armies on the Eastern Front... I mean, think about it...we really all just have one enemy when all is said and done: the undead. I cannot help but think though, that the American Revolution, the French Revolution, and the Russian Revolution are all somehow connected. Have you ever thought about it? The Americans overthrew the king because they refused to pay taxes but they pay even more taxes now. So was the terrible blow to families, tearing them apart, and the loss of lives worth it? I think not," Lanecea continued before Storm responded to her question. "Now think of the French Revolution and the Russian Revolution - were they not eerily similar? So many lives lost - I would dare say it was nothing short of a massacre as they overthrew the nobility, tearing down order. What was the result? Chaos. Revolution, perhaps, but who benefited overall? Vampires. So wouldn't it stand to reason that the vampires may have been the masterminds behind all three revolutions? It's just a thought..."

They were about to negotiate for the transfer of babies who would be lost to history and Lanecea was currently attempting to unravel history, her over-active brain never shutting off.

"That is an interesting thought," Storm looked down at the woman at his side for a moment just before they entered the fort's gates. "It is something I will think about."

Lanecea smiled, sighing to her toes at his promise as though a great weight had been lifted from her brain cells.

"Thank you."

Herja, although perpetually on the alert for danger, did not have revolutions on her mind as the trading post immediately drew her attention. Lani stepped away from Storm's side as he introduced them as the Cumming family to the guards, not trusting herself not to accidently laugh as the name still tickled her funny bone.

Storm nodded, giving his permission to Lanecea's unspoken request as she joined her bodyguard, the two mothers leading their children on a quick shopping trip while he negotiated with the soldiers.

"So handsome!" Lanecea's voice was dreamy as she placed a coonskin hat on her sons' heads then stepped back to admire them. "It actually suits you, don't you agree Herja?"

Herja looked up from a bolt of fabric before grinning. "Dashing!"

The boys blushed as Fintan confessed that it was ticklish before they removed the caps. 

"They operate on a bartering system," Lanecea explained to the children as they browsed the goods on display. "The French often live among the Natives and then return to the fort with furs to trade. The fur trade has been very lucrative and both the French and English king wish to maintain their monopoly on the beaver furs. That is the reason they went to war although wars between England and France stretch back throughout history. Those countries don't get along at all... Well, anyway, I do like this setup. I think it would be wonderful for priestesses as we never have any money of our own. Bartering is the way to go, and this way we can still have fun shopping from time to time..."

"But your kings will gladly give you money," Fintan pointed out, not catching his mother's point.

"That is true..." Lanecea agreed but didn't clarify her point, her mind already distracted. If she wasn't mistaken, even Hejra's money wouldn't have any value at the fort, after all, they had never seen American bills. "Herja...do you have anything to trade?"

Herja took a second to catch on to the fun Lanecea envisioned for her priestesses and within minutes was bartering her extra syringes for fabric. Lanecea didn't have syringes at her disposal, however. Lani winked at Revna as the burly man poured the white liquid into a small copper cup, before raising it to his lips. 

"Will you trade those three caps for one bottle, Sir?" Lanecea asked, her eyes sparkling with mischief at the sight of her chamomile-infused milk lingering on his black mustache. 

"It is unique. Do you have more?"

"More can be obtained..." Lanecea hedged as her plan expanded. After all, she had been able to summon her French and Italian armies, the men unable to resist her siren call as they headed toward Germany. What if she didn't need to throw a cum party in order to build her armies? This would be far more expedient, Lanecea was certain. 

"You need to ask Daddy," Revna reminded Lanecea, but her hands were already full of trinkets she wouldn't see again once they left the fort. 

Lanecea nodded, thankful for the reminder to be a good girl before she reached in her matching satchel for another bottle of the stash she had planned to bring to Mrs. McLean. 

"I need to ask for permission before I bring you more, but here is another bottle - to pay for my daughter's items and anything else the blonde wants that her needles don't cover."

"It's a fair trade," the towering man agreed before taking another gulp, then passed the cup to a younger man who stepped out of the shadows. "You need to try this."

Lanecea's eyes were sparkling as she watched the young man swallow her milk before whispering to Revna, "They will be joining us on the frontlines."

"Daddy knows you are building armies - I think. As long as they don't suck your boobs, I think he won't mind. It is impossible for you to be such a good girl all the time."

"True..." Lani winked at her Potato Peeler Princess who understood her.

"We will need to make a few trips," Storm announced to the general as he caught a glimpse of his family leaving the trading post, their arms filled with trinkets, fabric, and antiques, the boys wearing coonskin caps flanking the ladies.

"I have a boat to transport you," the general began as women who had accompanied their husbands to the frontier brought out the orphaned babies on Lanecea's list.

"Thank you - but a boat will not be necessary."

"How many we assist you, My Lady?" The burly man offered as he and the young man left the trading post behind, unable to resist Lanecea's call.

"We need help transporting the babies," Lanecea explained as she stepped closer to Storm's side once more, "and then I need you to follow Mr. Cumming's lead, please."

"As you wish," the men spoke in unison before the older of the two turned to Storm. "With your permission, I would like to procure more of the beverage when we return. It is unique and will be a favourite in these parts and in Europe as well. I have connections..."

Lanecea winked at Storm, her single wink filling him in on her devious plan. 

Only Lanecea would have thought of it, but he expected nothing less.

"You have my permission," Storm called over his shoulder as they scooped up the British babies. 

Not a single one would be lost to history as they headed back toward the forest, the men from the trading post joining their ever-expanding allies.