817

Repayment After the Donations

“I’ll give 3000 taels!”

“I’ll give 4000!”

“5000!”

“I’ll give 2000 and a set of jadeite head accessories!” The young miss that said they would add on a set of jadeite head accessories was very bold and generous, immediately beginning to remove the accessories that adorned her head and face. They were all thrown into the donation box.

Fung Tian Yu hurriedly kept track of things; however, there were people that threw things in too quickly, and she could not take note of things. But it was fine. Whether it was kept track of or not, it was all just for show. The people that had come to the banquet had a red piece of string tied around their wrist to commemorate the prayer for good fortune.

With these concubine mothers and daughters of concubines leading the way, the head wives and young misses of the first wife could no longer sit still. They could not allow the daughters of concubines to steal the glory, right? How could that be fine? Moreover, Palace Princess Wu Yang had placed quite a high hurdle for them. If they did not lose a bit of blood, they would have let down Da Shun! But since the daughters of concubines and lowly concubines had already donated that much, it would not do for people of their status to be suppressed by the little demons below!

Thus the head wives and daughters of the first wives made their move.

But they had not prepared themselves for this, and they did not bring much money over, thus someone loudly shouted: “I will donate ten thousand taels, but I did not bring the banknotes with me. I will immediately send a maidservant to fetch it.” The maidservant at her side immediately received the order and quickly ran toward the entrance of the manor, preparing to go home to fetch the money.

Xuan Tian Ge nodded, “To this madam, this palace princess will accept your thoughts on Imperial Uncle’s behalf and will definitely remember to mention it to Her Highness the Empress.”

With someone taking the lead with the idea of “going back to fetch money,” the people behind her also imitated this, and they donated even more. Even the accessories that they gave were more valuable than what the daughters of concubines had given. In an instant, the “banquet to pray for good fortune” had become a gathering to compare wealth between the head wives, daughters of the first wives, daughters of concubines and concubine mothers. Seeing that they were competing fiercely, Xuan Tian Ge’s group smiled very brightly on the inside.

Just like this, one day passed; however, Xuan Tian Ge announced that they would continue the next day.

When the guests heard that they would be continuing, they all felt a little on the verge of collapse. Only when the banquet had ended did they notice that they had nearly spent all of their own foundations for the sake of putting on airs. They felt a bit regretful and a little distressed, but money that had been spent was like water that had been spilled. Especially when it was now in Xuan Tian Ge’s hands, who would dare to ask for it back? All of them could only do their best to keep their chins up and endure it. When they finally thought that it was about to end, what was that, it was going to continue tomorrow?

But Xuan Tian Ge quickly explained: “There won’t be any donating of money or items tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a day to repay everyone. Only the madams and young misses that have participated in today’s donations have the right to participate tomorrow.”

Upon hearing these words, the people felt at ease. Repayment! Repayment would be a return, right? In the end, she did have a bit of a conscience, and they had not wasted all of this money. Thus the people decided that they had to come the next day. They would definitely need to regain the money that they had spent.