999

Suffering Another Round of Beatings

The citizens could not understand why the eighth prince, who was guilty of the most heinous crimes, would suddenly be pardoned by the Emperor. He had already been brought out to the execution site, and the blade was already resting on his neck. The people still did not know about the situation inside the Imperial Palace, and they only knew that the Sheng Palace had become lively once more. The things that had been carried out of the palace were brought back. There were also quite a few additional rewards that had been granted. They stayed at the Sheng Palace’s entrance and listened to the eunuch announce the contents of the gifts. Looking only at the things awarded by the Emperor, it sounded like there was even more stuff than what the Sheng Palace initially had, and this stuff was even better.

The citizens could not understand why this was. All of them voiced their discontent, but they did not dare to voice their complaints directly in the streets. They could only voice their complaints while in their own homes. Those living in the East, West, and South were a little better off. After all, they were just spectators. They were a little off from being directly affected. But those poor folk living in the northern part of the city became quite vexed. They lived in houses made by the Yu Palace, and they made use of the products provided by Princess Yu to survive. Morning, noon and at night, they would curse the eighth prince. At the same time, there would also be a few complaints and curses directed at the Emperor.

At present, the citizens in the northern part of the city had an unwritten rule. Whenever they met, they would first curse the emperor, the eighth prince and the court before moving onto other things. As for the contents of these curses, nobody was allowed to report them. If things were exposed, the citizens in the northern part of the city would want to rip the traitor to shreds, even if they ran the risk of being executed for that crime.

But so what if they just cursed? The imperial decree had come from the Emperor. In the past, they dared to throw heads of lettuce at the Sheng Palace’s gates; however, they never dared to throw things at the Imperial Palace’s gates. Everyone understood that it would be seen as betraying the country, and they would be executed on the spot.

As for the eighth prince, Xuan Tianmo, he was leisurely sitting in his palace and recovering from his illness. He had suffered a bit from sitting in the condemned cell, especially his legs. They had ended up with some ailments. The Emperor was very distressed by this. He was extremely troubled, as he called all of the imperial physicians to check up on his “most beloved son” one by one. In the end, it was decided that Sun Qi would be the one to handle treating him. Also, the Emperor left Sun Qi in the Sheng Palace to have him take care of the eighth prince throughout the day, and he must not be careless for even a moment.

Sun Qi’s medical abilities were good. At the very least, he was someone who could catch Song Kang’s eye. That meant that he was not an average doctor. With him taking care of Xuan Tianmo’s treatment, Xuan Tianmo’s leg recovered quite a bit. All of the medicines prescribed by Sun Qi were medicines unique to Hundred Herb Hall, and this meant that the Sheng Palace’s people would need to go into the capital to venture to Hundred Herb Hall to buy medicine. In regards to this, Hundred Herb Hall already disliked them, but the eighth prince’s side had an imperial order. This left Hundred Herb Hall with no other choice.

Yao Xuan personally sought out Feng Yuheng to discuss this matter, asking Feng Yuheng how it should be handled. After Feng Yuheng heard this, she said: “Give him the medicine. Give them however much they ask for, but you must demand payment. However much it should cost, increase it tenfold. They can buy it if they want.”