939

Our Own People?

The granny responsible for taking care of Concubine Liu entered the room and approached Feng Yu Heng, asking: “Inquiring with Princess, but will the medicine that Her Highness had previously been taking continue to be taken? That medicine had been prescribed by the imperial physicians. Now that Princess has taken over Her Highness’ treatment, will the medicine need to be changed?”

Feng Yu Heng heard this and nodded: “Naturally, it needs to be changed. There’s no need for you to worry. I will personally come and take care of the medicine that she must take. You just need to prepare some warm water.”

“Yes!” The older woman bowed and thought for a bit before adding: “This old servant will speak out of turn and ask, is just preparing warm water fine? Does it need to be taken to the kitchen to be decocted?”

“No need.” She said to the granny: “Her Highness should have heard that A-Heng never gives patients that sort of bitter medical soup to patients. Hundred Herb Hall has special medical pills for this sort of thing.”

Concubine Liu nodded and said: “We have heard of it, but we have never seen them before. Not to hide it from you, but those medical soups really are hard to stomach. For Imperial Daughter to be able to give medical pills to this One, it’s truly too good.”

When the granny heard this and did not ask anything further, bowing and retreating. Feng Yu Heng immediately pulled out a couple pills from the medicine kit that Wang Chuan was holding. They were all Western medicines that could help recover kidney function. At the same time, she brought out the equipment necessary to provide infusions. She told Concubine Liu: “Your Highness’ illness has gone on for too long. It’s impossible for it to be treated in just a few days. A-Heng will help ease your symptoms first to ensure that you will not need to endure such suffering.”

Concubine Liu fully trusted Feng Yu Heng. She would take any medicine that was given to her and would accept any injection. Who knew if it was a psychological effect or if the medicine really was effective, but Concubine Liu began to feel much better halfway through the infusion. She felt as though she had a bit of strength and no longer felt as weak as usual.

However, Feng Yu Heng very clearly knew that this was the effect of the medicine. All of the medicine that had been used was Western medicine, and it had a very powerful effect on the human body. It acted quickly and could work as a bridge. It could treat the symptoms but not the root problem. Even her saying that it could be treated was just to deal with Concubine Liu. In truth, Concubine Liu’s kidney failure had already reached its late stages. It was not that a kidney transplant could not extend her life and improve her quality of life, but who could guarantee that a suitable kidney could be found, nor could she guarantee that it would definitely succeed. Kidney transplants, even in the modern era, were extremely difficult operations. Before the operation, there would be numerous risk assessments. After the operation, there would also be a large number of medicines to help with the patient’s recovery and to increase the likelihood of the kidney being accepted. During this time, if there was the slightest mishap, it would result in the operation being a failure, and the patient would die.

She never believed that Concubine Liu would have time to wait for the risk assessments, nor did she believe that a suitable kidney could be found so easily; moreover, it was impossible for her to perform such a large operation on her own. It was certain that she would need Yao Xian’s assistance. She would be putting in so much effort, but it would be for someone from the eighth prince’s faction. What would she do it for?