984

Falling Back to the Start

Within three days, all of the conversations in the capital were dominated by one topic: The good deeds in the northern part of the city were not done by the eighth prince. From beginning to end, the eighth prince did not provide a single cent; however, he forcefully claimed the deeds for his reputation. He was a complete and utter hypocrite!

These rumors were all over, but they never mentioned Zhu Kongshan. When these words reached Xuan Tianmo’s ears, Xuan Tianmo angrily smashed a hundred-year-old inkstone in his study. He then quickly went to ask Zhu Kongshan about the situation; however, Zhu Kongshan anxiously said to him: “I was wanting to discuss this with cousin! Right now, all of the officials’ family members that had been working in the northern part of the city have now pulled out. At the start, I thought that they no longer had enough money to continue supporting this cause, thus it was fine if they left. When it comes to doing good deeds, it must be voluntary. It’s not good to force them to stay. I found later on that more and more people were leaving. I became curious and have been going around a bit more often these days. I heard that the real reason those officials’ family members left is actually because of cousin.”

“Because of this prince?” Xuan Tianmo was confused, “What is the relation between them staying or leaving and this prince?”

“Hah!” Zhu Kongshan pretending to look anxious and stomped her foot, “Cousin, how can you not understand? The officials’ families have been spending their own money to work with me in handing out food, but the Sheng Palace never provided them with any repayment. On the contrary, we have been claiming all of the gains in reputation. It would be fine if it was for a day or two, but as things dragged out, how could these people not feel resentful? When I pressed them, there has been more than one to tell me that the eighth prince is too stingy and too bossy. When there is work that requires money or manual labor, you will think of them, but once there are benefits, they are never even considered. They have worked with us for so long in handing out food, yet they have never received the slightest benefit. Not a single promotion was given out. That was why they could not continue to endure.”

Xuan Tianmo had a furious look on his face, “They only did this bit of work, yet they want promotions? They can dream on!” After thinking a bit more about the rumors floating around on the streets, there was no need to ask any further. It was natural that they had been spread by those officials. He had thought things through before. The low-rank officials could not be relied upon. Although they had daughters in the palace who had been bullied by Imperial Concubine Yun, unable to do anything for the past few decades, most of them were around the rank of noble lady. They could not succeed in anything important. As for this in the position of imperial concubine or concubines, they would be related to first and second rank officials, and he was unable to bring them over. This was his biggest weakness. “Did everyone pull out?” Xuan Tianmo asked Zhu Kongshan.

Zhu Kongshan nodded, “We are the only ones who remain.”

“Un.” He pondered for a while then continued: “In five days time, this prince will personally go to the northern part of the city. At the same time, I will bring the winter clothes prepared by imperial concubine mother. When the time comes, make some arrangements.”

Zhu Kongshan’s heart flitted with joy, as she quickly nodded and said: “Kongshan will keep that in mind. Cousin, don’t worry. All of the arrangements for the northern part of the city have been made.” After saying this, she looked at Xuan Tianmo, as a bit of a blush appeared on her face, “Will cousin be sleeping here tonight?”