944

Cousin

These words caused Feng Yu Heng to freeze. She looked up at the shop that had been described as having many people lining up outside and as having a shabby appearance. Oh, that shop, it was a pastry shop that had been open for over 100 years. Apparently, that shop had been around for over 150 years, and the owners had deliberately chosen not to renovate it to preserve the older appearance.

The clerk of the embroidery shop could not help but mutter: “Where did this country bumpkin come from?”

Feng Yu Heng was also uncertain as to where this bumpkin had come from. Either way, the carriage had stopped further away, and there was nothing for her to do. This would give her something entertaining to watch.

“A-Huan, come take a look. Those people really are wearing shabby clothes!” The maidservant in the carriage spoke once more, “Coarse cloth, there are actually people in the capital that wear clothes made of coarse cloth? Who was it that had said to us before that everyone in the capital wore the finest of clothing? It isn’t like that at all!”

She pointed at a few madams that were walking along the street. They were just the wives of some normal families. Although the clothes that they wore were plain, they were clean. It was not as exaggerated as they had made it sound. Feng Yu Heng was puzzled and asked Wang Chuan and Huang Quan: “Who was it that said that the people in the capital wear the finest clothes? With this sort of standard, would we be considered low-to-middle-class peasants?”

The clerk of the embroidery shop quite enjoyed talking. Hearing Feng Yu Heng say this, they rushed to nod: “Not just lower-class peasants. We truly are in dire need of relief.”

The maidservant in the carriage spoke very loudly and did not avoid things in the slightest. In fact, for fear of others not knowing who they were talking about, they did not just continue shouting, as they even pointed. The madams that were passing by had rather ugly expressions on their faces, as they stopped to take a look at the carriage. Although they were angry, when they saw the large horses and the quality materials used to make the carriage, they knew that this was not just another wealthy person. As a result of this, even if they felt angry, they did not dare say anything else for fear of causing trouble. Although they did not dare say anything, they did not continue to walk forward. Instead, they just stood there while feeling curious about the master of this carriage.

At this time, there were many commoners that had begun to gather around. It was not just the commoners who were curious, as even Feng Yu Heng was curious. She asked Wang Chuan: “Whose carriage is this? Have you heard about any important people coming to the capital recently?”

Wang Chuan shook her head: “There really hasn’t been any word. This servant will ask around about it later, but based on the bearing, it’s not a normal person, right?”

Just as this was said, some young beggars were coming down the street from the other end of the street. Originally, there had been some beggars squatting on this street. In an instant, these beggars had caught the attention of the two maidservants. The one that had been called A-Huan became spirited. Pulling out a handful of copper coins, she scattered them on the ground. The beggars subconsciously charged forward to snatch it. There were even two that began fighting for the sake of snatching the money. This made the two servants burst out laughing.

“A-Ruo, look, look, not only does the capital have beggars, but they’re even fighting over some copper coins. It really is funny. It’s too funny. Come, come, let’s throw another handful!” As she spoke, she threw out another handful of copper coins. This time, it was not just the beggars that were fighting over the copper coins. There were even some normal commoners that joined in. This caused the two servants to throw another two handfuls. They rocked back and forth with laughter inside the carriage. It was as though they had seen the funniest play.