916

To Consummate the Marriage or Not?

The letter was from Gu Shu, requesting peace, and it had the ruler of Gu Shu’s imperial seal. After Xuan Tian Ming looked at it, he handed it to Feng Yu Heng and said: “It’s within expectations. It’s just that the conditions need to be discussed some more.”

Feng Yu Heng saw that the letter said that Gu Shu was wanting peace. It expressed that they felt apologetic for initiating the offensive on Da Shun. As reparations, they would have no intentions of asking for the three cities that had been taken by Da Shun, and a large sum of gold and silver would be paid. They wanted to once again be subordinate to Da Shun.

She raised an eyebrow: “We had already taken those three cities for ourselves. They want to use our things as reparations. They really are magnanimous, huh?”

“That’s why I said that the conditions need to be discussed some more.” Xuan Tian Ming pondered, “It would be better to set our sights on the capital. If they agree to hand over the capital and all of the cities North to Da Shun, Da Shun will agree on peace terms. If they don’t agree with this, we will charge straight into their capital and not spare a single hair.” After saying this, he turned slightly and said to Bai Ze: “Have things decided like this. Have someone send a report back to the capital for the old man to take a look at.”

Bai Ze happily accepted this task, feeling that his master had become even more skilled at scamming people since marrying the princess! But he was still a bit puzzled: “We have already begun fighting. Why should we accept peace terms? Can’t we just wipe out Gu Shu?” The heavenly lightning that the princess had provided really was quite useful. Not to mention a lowly Gu Shu, but even flattening the world with explosions would not take much effort.

Feng Yu Heng was able to understand why Xuan Tian Ming accepted the peace deal, telling Bai Ze: “The further we advance toward Gu Shu, the hotter it will get. When we reached Yue Ping City, the situation with the soldiers suffering from heatstroke was far more severe than with the two previous cities. If the entirety of Gu Shu was taken by Da Shun, just governing it would be enough of a headache for us. Based on His Highness’ assessment, Da Shun’s soldiers would only be able to endure the heat up to the capital. It would be better to leave Gu Shu to govern themselves while continuing to pay tribute each year. As for leaving them a few cities, even if they have the intention of reversing the situation, they would not have the power.”

Xuan Tian Ming nodded. His wife’s analysis really was the most accurate.

Bai Ze also admired Feng Yu Heng greatly, quickly going to take care of the report. As for Xuan Tian Ming, he brought Feng Yu Heng back to Yue Ping City. Living in the most beautiful city in the desert, they waited for a response from the Emperor.

During this period of time, Xuan Tian Ming and Feng Yu Heng spoke most about the matter of “consummating” the marriage.

Xuan Tian Ming’s opinion was: “This prince has been waiting since you were 12 years of age. You’ve finally come of age, you need to help relieve some of this prince’s lovesickness.”

Feng Yu Heng’s opinion was: “In the face of a great enemy, you have the mind to consummate the marriage? Also, we are only living here temporarily. It cannot be considered as having married into your house.” But when Xuan Tian Ming continued to question it, she finally voiced her internal thoughts: “My parents passed away. Even if I don’t observe a three-year mourning period, it should be at least 100 days. To consummate this marriage with you at this time, I feel unable to accept it.”