974

With Me Here, Do Not Fear

Noble Lady Yuan’s words were the equivalent of opening up a window for Imperial Concubine Li’s mental block. In the past, Imperial Concubine Li had only focused on trying to gain some benefits from Feng Yuheng, doing whatever she could to have her find out how good the sixth prince was in hopes that Feng Yuheng would turn her attention to the sixth prince.

But this entire time, Feng Yuheng had repeatedly told her about how good her relationship with the ninth prince was. Those feelings could not be torn down, and this left Imperial Concubine Li feeling that she had fallen short of her objective. She felt that there was something wrong with her approach; however, she was unable to figure out what the problem was.

Hearing what Noble Lady Yuan said today, she finally understood that she needed to separate Feng Yuheng and Xuan Tianming. If she could not make any moves from the emotional angle, there was only one option- have Xuan Tianming die! Her elder sister was right. Only with Xuan Tianming dying would it be possible for Feng Yuheng to remarry. At the same time, with Xuan Tianming dying, her Feng’er would have one fewer obstacle. That throne would be a little closer to being within grasp.

Imperial Concubine Li felt that she now had a grasp on this “secret plan” to have Feng Yuheng marry the sixth prince. In an instant, she became elated. It was such that she did not sleep well that entire night.

That night in the Yu Palace, Feng Yuheng used Xuan Tianming’s arm as a pillow and brought up the matter with Feng Zhaolian.

Hearing her mention that Feng Zhaolian had basically acted like a rascal to remain in the Imperial Palace, even managing to get into Jing Ci Palace, Xuan Tianming was not at all surprised. He said: “That Prince Lian came to Da Shun with his own persistence. Coming to the capital, how could he not seek to get revenge for such a deep resentment? Don’t think that the death of Qian Zhou’s ruler would resolve the resentment in his heart. A perfectly good person was reduced to a state of being neither male nor female. Only he is completely clear on his misery.”

Feng Yuheng recalled earlier speculation about the Empress and asked Xuan Tianming: “Feng Zhaolian living in the Jing Ci Palace is because of the Empress, right? I keep feeling that Father Emperor must know about the Empress’ identity, but why has he kept her in that position?”

Xuan Tianming pulled his wife a little bit closer before saying: “There are some things that are left to the heavens. She has made no contributions nor made any mistakes, yet she cannot escape her fate. She has carefully kept it hidden for so many years; however, she will still need to deal with it being announced. Just watch! Following Feng Zhaolian’s actions, the day of truth should not be far away. Father Emperor understand this. The reason that he has not touched on her side is for the sake of fishing. Also, she is the mother of the country, and acting without due consideration would harm the country’s foundation. Just watch and see what path she decides to take. Whether she lives or dies, the decision is in her own hands.”

“Then Feng Zhaolian staying there, will it ruin Father Emperor’s plans?” She was a bit worried, “After all, I was the one who brought him in. If something happened, it would be difficult for me to provide Father Emperor with an explanation.”

“It won’t!” Xuan Tianming comforted her, “There are naturally people in the palace keeping an eye on Prince Lian. Him staying in Jing Ci Palace is nothing more than him having the same goal as Father Emperor and us. It’s for the sake of fishing, and this large fish is naturally the missing Duanmu Anguo.”