891

Feng Jin Yuan Passes

Feng Yu Heng entered the room and personally swapped places with the soldier. She then worked with Wang Chuan to help Feng Jin Yuan back into his bed.

During this process, Feng Jin Yuan just looked at her in a daze. He watched this daughter and maidservant work together to carry him back into bed and cover him with a blanket. They also quietly sat down at the bedside. There was no longer that sharp look, and though it could not be described as intimate, it was very close that look of indifference from before she had been sent to the Northwest. Not close in the slightest, this was already a very good outcome for Feng Jin Yuan.

Feng Jin Yuan averted his gaze and reached up to wipe away his tears, but he also felt that he was all skin and bones. He said: “A-Heng, you came!” He then turned back around, his eyes filled with a fatherly love that Feng Yu Heng had never experienced since coming to Da Shun.

She was a bit flustered and suddenly wanted to ask if Feng Jin Yuan had become muddled. Had he thought of her as the late Feng Chen Yu. But seeing that this person was already severely ill, she faintly sighed to herself and did not say anything too harsh. She just nodded and said: “Yes, I came.”

Feng Jin Yuan was a bit embarrassed. When it came to this second daughter, he always had a lot to say; however, he never knew how to begin. He did not know how to begin the conversation. He was having a bit of difficulty remembering how he had interacted with Feng Yu Heng when she was still the Feng family’s daughter of the first wife, before he had sent her to the Northwest. He just recalled that this second daughter’s personality was indifferent and was never too interested in anything, nor did she express much interest in any person. After Feng Yu Heng returned to the capital, the interaction between the two was nothing more than quarreling and mutual dislike.

“Hah.” Feng Jin Yuan sighed and did not know what to say.

It was Feng Yu Heng that spoke up first, saying to him: “I have gone to mother’s grave to pay respects. As her daughter, I could not even make it in time for her burial. I fear that this will be something that I will regret for the rest of my life. But I still must thank you for personally handling this matter. The location of the grave seems to have great feng shui. The desert is very far from the capital and far from those contentious affairs. Mother would like it.”

Feng Jin Yuan quickly said: “There’s no need to thank me. Your mother was my first wife. These were things that I ought to do.”

Feng Yu Heng shook her head: “She can’t be considered your first wife. Someone that’s already divorced, she no longer has any relation to the Feng family.” While she spoke, she felt Feng Jin Yuan’s pulse. It was just for a moment before she put it down; however, she did not say anything about the illness. Instead, she said: “I brought Xiang Rong to Ji An Prefecture. In the future, concubine mother An will also go and live there. A residence has already been prepared. You can be at ease. As for Fen Dai, either way, she has the fifth prince taking care of her. Based on her personality, even if you want to worry about her, it’s a waste of time. Whether she prospers or falls to ruin, it will depend on her own choices.”

When she brought this up, Feng Jin Yuan felt as though she was preparing for life after his death, telling him one last time about the family situation. He then knew that the result of the pulse examination was probably not good. But this ending was within his expectations. It was as he had said to that soldier. He knew his body well. He would survive for another two days at most before he could no longer hold on. Fortunately, right before he died, he could see Feng Yu Heng, and his heart was free from burden, thus he opened his mouth to bitterly say: “I am a failure of a father. I am such a failure that I do not know what advice I can give you before I die. You don’t need any advice from me because you are better than father at everything. Comparatively, over the years, I have not done a single proper thing over the years. I do not have the right to ask for your forgiveness, but A-Heng, there is something that I must tell you. Right before your mother passed, she left behind a message. She said that she was no longer muddled. She always recognized you at heart. She knew that you were her daughter and not Fu Ya. She wanted to you be at ease.”