841

The Emperor’s Decision

There were too many citizens that had come to complain about the eighth prince. Not to mention beating all of them, but they could not even fit inside Xu Jing Yuan’s courtroom. There were people standing out in the streets, and it still felt crowded.

Xu Jing Yuan calmed the citizens with a bright smile, and he expressed that he attached great importance to this case. He then decided that he would immediately go into the palace and have the Emperor make a decision on this matter. The citizens that had come to file this complaint also had some spirit, as they followed behind Xu Jing Yuan’s carriage. Xu Jing Yuan entered the palace, and they just remained kneeled outside the palace. There were even people that spent money to hire writers to write in large letters “Your Highness the eighth prince, return my life!” The family of the dead raised these words high above their heads and cried loudly.

The imperial guards at the entrance of the imperial palace had been placed under Xuan Tian Mo’s command; however, Xuan Tian Mo was unable to completely swap them out for his own people in such a short period of time. That was a monumental task, and his power was still lacking in the capital, and he could not accomplish it for the time being. At most, he could only swap out a few of the people that were close to the Emperor. Everything else had maintained its original state.

Maintaining the original state meant that these people still favored Xuan Tian Ming. That was why they acted as if they had not seen anything, with all of the people kneeling and crying, even if they were supposed to chase them away. They even hoped that some more would gather. The citizens saw that the imperial guards were holding back, thus they acted out even more ferociously. Gradually, because there were countless people gathering, even more people began to gather. The group was very large, and it was very hard to see the end of the crowd.

At this time, Xu Jing Yuan, who had entered the palace, was kneeling outside of Zhao He Hall. The Emperor had been resting, but he was shocked by the news that Xu Jing Yuan had brought: “You said that old eighth opened a medical clinic? Nonsense!” The old emperor angrily slapped the table, “What does he know about medical clinics? Is he suited for that? Even naming it Thousand Herb Hall, isn’t he clearly opposing A-Heng?”

Xu Jing Yuan nodded: “Your Majesty is very correct. That’s why there was someone that died at the medical clinic just a few days after it was opened. Also, medicine that had become moldy was sold to the citizens. Now, the citizens have come to the government office to file a report. Practically… half of the city’s citizens have come to complain. This official sent someone to investigate Thousand Herb Hall and to capture that Persian doctor. All of the medicine has also been sealed up. Your Majesty, please look-” Xu Jing Yuan brought out a bundle that he had been carrying. Inside was the medicine that he had sent someone to Thousand Herb Hall to fetch, “This is from Thousand Herb Hall. This official is not clear on the matters of medicine and brought it into the palace. Would Your Majesty please call someone from the imperial physicians’ group to take a look.”

The Emperor nodded and gestured for Zhang Yuan to call an imperial physician. Not long later, the head of the imperial physicians’ group personally came to Zhao He Hall and shook his head toward the bundle of medicine: “Replying to Your Majesty, this medicine has very nearly no medical effect. There are also spots of mold. It’s clear that it’s just a waste product. If a patient took this, not only would they not get better, but they might get poisoned by this. May I ask, where did this medicine come from?”

Xu Jing Yuan said: “This was medicine brought from His Highness the eighth prince’s Thousand Herb Hall. Has my lord taken a good look? We must not falsely accuse His Highness the eighth prince.”

“This…” Once the doctor heard that it was something from His Highness the eighth prince’s side, he could not help but become more cautious. Picking up the medicine, he examined it for a long time then helplessly lowered his head and said to the Emperor: “This official maintains what was said earlier. This is worthless stuff that has grown moldy. It will have a bad effect on people.”