935

What It Means to Bear a Grudge

Every time that Zhang Yuan spoke with Xuan Tian Ming, he felt a bit on the edge of mental collapse. Saying “serves him right” and “reaping what he sows” to describe the Emperor, in this world, this was something that only the ninth prince of hell dared to do.

“Then what happened after? Concubine Liu’s family made some movements, right?” Feng Yu Heng hurriedly changed the topic, not wanting to let Xuan Tian Ming speak.

Zhang Yuan felt more and more that Feng Yu Heng really was great. She truly was a savior! Thus he quickly said: “There definitely were movements. Concubine Liu’s father was the Minister of the Ministry of Civil Personnel, a standard second rank official. Because this matter occurred, Minister Liu was very unhappy. At that time, he had been the one leading the group that had caused a loud scene accusing Imperial Concubine Yun of exclusively dominating the imperial harem. I heard that a number of commotions were started! But His Majesty was entirely biased toward Imperial Concubine Yun. No matter how much of a scene they caused, it would not have a single good result. Seeing that Concubine Liu was losing influence in the palace and that other members of the imperial harem were losing influence, Minister Liu was so angry that he fell ill and died. It was only then that His Majesty felt that things were a little hard to accept, thus he broke the rules once more and promoted Concubine Liu’s eldest brother to the position of assistant minister in the Ministry of Civil Personnel, which is a standard third rank position.”

“Those people that are occupying positions in the court without doing their jobs were promoted in this manner.” Xuan Tian Ming spoke up and caused Zhang Yuan to tremble with fear once more. He hoped that they would quickly arrive at the Imperial Palace. In any case, the old emperor in the palace would be able to support him and continue the conversation with the ninth prince. His little heart was about to give out.

But what Xuan Tian Ming had said was not completely unreasonable. Over the years, the Emperor had felt quite apologetic to the women of the imperial harem. That was why he did anything possible to make amends in regards to power. If an official’s position could be arranged, it would be arranged. This would also serve as a way of comforting himself. But it was also because of these assigned officials that these people with hatred in their hearts could gather together and support the eighth prince’s side.

Zhang Yuan thought for a bit and felt that he needed to say a bit more, thus he added: “That Concubine Liu is severely ill, and we don’t know how long she had been sick for. Either way, His Majesty feels unreconciled about the imperial harem. The imperial harem sends many reports, but these reports never reach the Emperor. It was only yesterday that the imperial physicians in the palace announced that they were powerless and allowed for funeral arrangements to begin. It was only at this point that His Majesty received word of this and went to take a look. Princess also knows that His Majesty is getting old. When people get old, it’s easy for them to feel nostalgic. When seeing Concubine Liu sick like that, he felt a bit troubled. Concubine Liu’s eldest brother, Assistant Minister Liu, had also made a special trip to the palace. Having Princess come into the palace was a request made by Assistant Minister Liu.”

“Oh?” Feng Yu Heng was startled: “It was brought up by Assistant Minister Liu?” Her eyes then squinted, “Then that makes it a bit more fun!”

Xuan Tian Ming also put on a sly smile, freely saying: “That’s right! One of old eighth’s people took the initiative to invite this prince’s wife into the palace to examine his younger sister’s illness. This really does need a bit of attention.”