879

Having Thoughts That Should Not Be Had

The people at the entrance of Hundred Herb Hall were hard to calm down. Everyone felt as though they had been tricked. Not only did they believe in this Hundred Herb Hall, but they had also believed in that fake imperial daughter. They had also performed grand salutes to that impersonator a number of times.

Thus the people rushed inside Hundred Herb Hall to cause a commotion, calling out Fang Ru Jiang. Everyone knew that Hundred Herb Hall was opened by Fang Ru Jiang with Imperial Daughter Ji An. Now that they could not find the fake imperial daughter, they would definitely need to ask Fang Ru Jiang about it.

Fang Ru Jiang had a helpless expression, as he looked at the crowd. He repeatedly apologized to the people and loudly said: “I’m truly sorry. Fellow comrades, I am also a victim! With you saying it like this, I also feel that I have been deceived and scammed. Not to hide the truth, but for the sake of inviting Imperial Daughter out to treat everyone, I went to visit the Feng residence numerous times, but later on, they simply did not let me in. It was exceedingly hard to even get a glimpse of the people inside the Feng residence. Today, I also feel that there is a problem with that imperial daughter. Now that everyone has gathered to analyze, and adding in what His Highness the ninth prince had said and what the peddler has said today, I think that being deceived is the reality! I am sorry to everyone for believing in that fake imperial daughter and opening a Hundred Herb Hall. Everyone, don’t worry. I will immediately close this Hundred Herb Hall. It will never be opened again. At the same time, I will go and report it. I hope that everyone can act as a witness!”

When the people heard Fang Ru Jiang’s words, they knew that they could not blame him for this matter. After all, it was the prefect that led the way in recognizing the identity of the fake imperial daughter. On what basis should the lowly citizens not believe him? Thus everyone nodded in unison. They all wanted to act as witnesses, but there were also some that questioned: “Where do we go to report it? The prefect’s manor has been surrounded.”

Fang Ru Jiang thought for a bit then said: “Let’s go and complain to His Highness the ninth prince! Let’s go and find the soldiers surrounding the prefect’s manor. They are His Highness the ninth prince’s men. Let’s just have them help us pass along the message. Just say that a fake imperial daughter has appeared in Lan Zhou, and we want to report her!”

“Right! Let’s do that! Go, go! Let’s go and report this!” As they spoke, they loudly headed in the direction of the prefect’s manor.

On the corner of the street, Fu Ya leaned back with the hat on her head. She had no strength left. If it was not for her maidservant, Xiao Tao’er, supporting her, she would have been unable to stay standing.

“What should we do?” Fu Ya asked Xiao Tao’er: “You’ve always been a smart servant. Tell me, what should we do right now?”

Xiao Tao’er pondered for a bit then said seriously: “It depends on what Imperial Daughter decides.”

“Don’t keep calling me imperial daughter. I would just be deceiving myself. I know that the servants in the residence were arranged to be sent over by Lord Ji or by His Highness the eighth prince. In regards to my identity, even if you are not completely clear on it, you should be able to guess the reality, especially you. Since you could be sent over as a personal servant, you should understand it completely, right?”

Xiao Tao’er heard her say this and stopped feigning ignorance. She just nodded her head and said: “We are all His Highness the eighth prince’s people, and we are all doing the same thing. Xiao Tao’er was at your side. It’s natural that I would share your burdens. Now that we have entered this difficult situation, Xiao Tao’er needs to help you with this trial. That’s why this matter depends on your decision. If you want to flee, in such a large world, it should be fine. But once you have fled, that would be the same as giving up on your future opportunities. Regardless of whether His Highness the eighth prince does well or poorly, it’s completely unrelated to you. It could be said that if you choose to flee, all of your earlier efforts would have been wasted. It would be the same as being about to enjoy great success then suddenly giving up. As this servant feels, that would be quite a pity.”