973

She Can Only Remarry Once He Dies

Zhang Ning Palace’s palace banquet had ended up as a joke. Things in the palace spread very quickly. Within half a month, the situation had already spread through the entirety of the inner palace, and everyone thought of Imperial Concubine Li as a laughingstock. She had become a topic of discussion during meals and idle time.

The three girls who had fallen into the water were picked up by their families, but when Zhu Kongshan asked whether they would ask for an explanation from the Yu Palace, they all said: “Everything will be decided by His Highness Prince Sheng.” They then quickly left without an extra word.

After returning back to the palace, she asked Xuan Tianmo, and Xuan Tianmo told her: “Those three were the first to do something wrong, and they could only blame themselves. Regardless of what was done, Feng Yuheng would not fall.”

Zhu Kongshan also told Xuan Tianmo about what Noble Lady Yuan had analyzed. It was clear that he was a bit more interested in this piece of information, but he only wanted Noble Lady Yuan to set the foundation. To put it in his words: “Women’s work should be handled by women. I am a dignified prince. Dealing with old ninth is the most important thing. It would not be good to only focus on making trouble for Feng Yuheng.”

Zhu Kongshan thought about it and also felt the same way. What sort of dealings could a grown man have with a young girl? As for her, she also needed to support Xuan Tianmo at home.

That night after dinner, Noble Lady Yuan made another trip to Zhang Ning Palace. At this time, Imperial Concubine Li was drinking tea. This tea was awarded to her after she had reclaimed her position. It was too much better than the tea that she had been drinking in the past. Today, she was in a bad mood, and she was asking Zuo’er: “Is it the case that this One interacted with people too seldom in the past, such that I don’t even know how to host a palace banquet? But I really don’t think that having music and dancing is that good. During every palace banquet, I find the dancing and music to be annoying. Also that Feng Fendai, bringing a shoddy child along. Say, will the fifth prince really cause trouble over this matter?”

Zuo’er both felt pity and helpless towards Imperial Concubine Li. She truly could not say anything about the palace banquet. It was not as though she had not advised Imperial Concubine Li to interact a bit more with others in the past, but it was completely pointless. That was why she only spoke on the matter of Feng Fendai, saying: “In truth, what the Feng family’s young miss said was correct. Your Highness really should give up on that idea about Princess Yu. If this was found out by His Highness the ninth prince, this servant will say something inauspicious, but he even dared to whip a favored concubine to death. If he ended up at our Zhang Ning Palace, it would be more than we could endure. Of course, this is something that must be considered with His Highness the ninth prince. As for Feng Fendai, Your Highness, there’s no need to be scared by her. Even with His Highness the fifth prince protecting her, Your Highness is also His Highness the sixth prince’s birth mother. You must know that His Highness the sixth prince is much more influential than His Highness the fifth prince in court.”

Hearing her say this, Imperial Concubine Li felt much more at ease, only saying: “That’s good, that’s good.” But she did not mind too much about the ninth prince having whipped a favored concubine to death, simply saying: “If A-Heng can be shown that person’s explosive violence, it might be possible to have her reconsider her decisions.”

“Your Highness!” Zuo’er stomped her foot. Why was Imperial Concubine Li completely blind on this subject? Why had she latched onto Princess Yu? She wanted to advise against it some more; however, she saw a palace maid walk in and salute, saying: “Your Highness, Noble Lady Yuan is waiting outside and asked to meet.”