914

Gu Shu’s Best City

Fu Ya had died and done so in an extremely ugly manner. There was not much clothing covering her body, and her lower body was in bad shape from Bi Xiu’s earlier actions.

Xuan Tian Ming ordered the soldiers: “When we enter the city, bring along that girl’s body and bring it back as a sacrifice to Madam Yao.”

At the same time, Bi Xiu’s death caused Gu Shu’s army to fall into chaos. Nobody thought that their top general would suddenly die in such a situation. At present, Da Shun was just outside the city, and they could launch an attack at any moment. With the impression of heavenly lightning in their minds, they were powerless to fight back. Even the deputy general felt despair creep into his heart. Slowly stepping back, he began making preparations to retreat at any moment.

The soldiers were not foolish. With their head general dead, the sight of their deputy general’s condition made it clear that he wanted to run. What would they fight for? They might as well run! Thus Gu Shu’s army made the decision on its own to flee through Yue Ping City’s southern gate before Da Shun’s army began its attack. Before retreating, they did not have time to even worry about the food stores for fear that they would be blown up by the heavenly lightning if they were slow to retreat.

But in truth, Da Shun’s army did not make a move. They just moved forward by a bit while carefully listening to the movements inside the city’s walls. Of course, there were also spies that came soaring out of the city and reported the movements inside. Only after all of Gu Shu’s soldiers had retreated from the city did they open the gate from the inside, respectfully welcoming Da Shun’s army into the city.

As for the reason that they did not attack Yue Ping City like they had before, aside from what Feng Yu Heng had said about it being far from Lan Zhou, making it difficult to transport building materials and people, the most important reasons were Yue Ping City’s location and appearance.

It was different from Sha Ping City and Jue Ping City. Yue Ping City had also been built near water; however, the water came from a large number of lakes in the desert. The entirety of Yue Ping City was a large oasis. The center of the city had a fresh-water lake. All around the lake were plants native to the desert. There were patches of fruit trees in the city, and they were even able to grow some of their own food. It was enough to feed everyone in Yue Ping City. It could be said that Yue Ping City was the best and biggest city in Gu Shu. It was just that its position was not quite in the middle of Gu Shu, and this was the only reason Gu Shu did not establish it as its capital.

Xuan Tian Ming already knew of Yue Ping City’s situation, and he had no desire to damage it. He hoped to peacefully take this city. Regardless of whether it was for the oasis or the people, they were able to interact with them with a peaceful attitude. If they could avoid using things like mines and grenades in Yue Ping City, it would be best.

This sort of thinking was something that was shared by the people of Yue Ping City! It had been many years that the people of Yue Ping City had enjoyed the most comfort. The other cities required help from the courts and trade with Da Shun to continue their existence. For Yue Ping City, they could have anything they wanted by relying on the oasis. Rice, vegetables, and fruits were all plentiful, and they were lacking for nothing. They naturally preferred peace and detested war. When Gu Shu had been chased to Yue Ping City, the prefect of Yue Ping City would have wanted to keep their gates shut if he was not an official of Gu Shu.

Finally, with Bi Xiu dying and Gu Shu’s army fleeing, Da Shun’s army had entered the city. The people of Yue Ping City were anxious and speculative. Were Da Shun’s people the same as Gu Shu’s army. Would they begin breaking things and stealing once they entered the city? If it was the case, even if they had to give up on their lives, they would fight to the end. But if they were not, if Da Shun’s people could peacefully take care of this city, they would unconditionally accept Da Shun’s governance. To the people of Yue Ping City, it did not matter who was their ruler. As long as Yue Ping City was still there, as long as they could live freely and peacefully, and as long as they could continue living the way that they had before, it was fine. They would not be loyal to anyone. They were only loyal to their own desires. They were only loyal to the people that treated them well.