886

Master Told Me to Keep an Eye on Your Highness

Yao shi’s unexpected death was not part of Xuan Tian Ming’s original plan, but he still stared at the casket with his brow furrowed for a long time. This scared the soldiers nearby so much that they did not dare breathe loudly. Feng Jin Yuan was able to understand and was not too horrified, but Ji Ling Tian and the officer that had killed Yao shi had wet themselves in fear. They were afraid that the ninth prince would immediately kill them in a fit of anger.

However, Xuan Tian Ming did not choose to kill those two at this time. He ordered someone to open Yao shi’s casket. After personally going forward to verify her identity, he immediately ordered a new and more valuable casket be prepared. She was to be buried three days later. He then turned around and returned to the residence in Sha Ping City that he had been staying in.

But everyone could see that the ninth prince’s expression was not good. They were worried that he would no longer be kind. Feng Jin Yuan saw everyone watch the ninth prince depart. After this, nobody knew what to do, thus he took the initiative to speak up and say to the soldiers: “Someone should be sent to the coffin shop. Do as His Highness the ninth prince ordered and buy the best coffin possible. At the same time…” He looked toward Ji Ling Tian and said with hatred in his eyes, “Lock up those two and keep an eye on them. No mistakes must be made. Do you understand what I’m saying? That means they cannot be treated well, but they also must not die. Just letting them die so easily would be letting them off easy.” He paused for a moment then continued: “As for me… in the end, Yao shi was my first wife. Just let me help out with this mourning! Don’t worry, I won’t run away. Also, this place is Sha Ping City. It’s His Highness the ninth prince’s territory. Even if I want to run, I have no place to escape to.”

The soldiers felt that what he had said was rather reasonable, and along the way, Feng Jin Yuan had been pretty obedient. Either way, they did not dare go and ask the ninth prince anything further. It would be better to just do as he said. At worst, they could go and ask General He Gan later on.

The people immediately went to work. The ones that had to buy a casket went to buy a casket. The ones that needed to choose a burial spot went to choose a burial spot. The ones that needed to lock up Ji Ling Tian went to lock up Ji Ling Tian. In truth, all of these were easy to do, but choosing a burial spot was truly a bit difficult.

This place was a desert, and there was sand everywhere. How did this resemble a place to bury people? As for inside the city, the ground was suited for digging, but that was near a river that the people of Sha Ping City depended on. Burying someone nearby would not be good. In addition to this, Song Kang had said that once a corpse was buried, nobody could guarantee what sorts of changes would occur. If the rotting contaminated the source of water, that would be life-threatening.

There was nothing the soldiers could do. Even after asking He Gan, they did not have any ideas. In the end, they could only place their hopes in Feng Jin Yuan. Ever since Feng Jin Yuan had fallen from the position of left prime minister, he had not done any actual work. Even when he, Yao shi and Fu Ya were acting as the fake imperial daughter’s family, and even with Ji Ling Tian repeatedly calling him lord left prime minister, in truth, he never recovered that feeling from the past. As for now, performing the funeral for Yao shi, he seemed to have gone back in time to a few years ago. He had returned to a time when the Feng family was still glorious, and everything was decided by him. When the people below him did not know how to do something, they would seek him for help.

Feng Jin Yuan took the initiative to take on the work of finding a burial location. He asked a few of Sha Ping City’s citizens and earnestly asked them how the people of Sha Ping City buried their dead. In truth, Yao shi’s corpse should have been transported back to the capital. After all, that was where the Yao family’s foundation was. But the conditions did not allow it. The South was too hot. In just a couple of days, she had already begun to decompose. If they moved it too much, perhaps the casket would be completely ruined before they could even exit Luo Province. Burying her would be the most reliable thing to do. After a few years, if the Yao family wished, people could be sent to fetch her.