958

Gifts Must Hit the Right Spot

Zhu Kongshan’s background was not particularly good. As the daughter of a lowly sixth rank official’s family, and as just the daughter of a concubine, it was fortunate that the Zhu family treated her well to give consideration to the two members of the imperial harem and the two princes in the Imperial Palace. At the very least, she could also learn from the teachers that had been brought in to teach the daughters of the first wife how to read and write, as well as the five arts. But she was not too interested in the five arts; however, she had read and studied how to be a person quite thoroughly. In the Zhu manor, she once helped her father resolve a number of difficult problems by coming up with a number of ideas. It was such that in Peng Zhou, the Zhu family’s reputation was greater than that of Peng Zhou’s prefect.

When she spoke with the eighth prince today about what had happened in the palace, she expressed her own point of view, saying: “Cousin Feng might also be a prince; however, I heard that he does not pay attention to the matters in court, nor does he desire to remain in the capital. Over the past few years, he has either gone to hide near the border or in Ji An Prefecture. To have this sort of person fight for the throne, I figure even he himself wishes to avoid it. Moreover, I have visited second aunt. To exaggerate a little, even if she had that ambition, she does not have the ability. Cousin, don’t ask how I can tell. It’s just based on my intuition, and Kongshan’s intuition has always been very accurate. That’s why, as Kongshan sees it, this matter will not be difficult. Tomorrow, Kongshan will go into the palace to congratulate second aunt. Since she has been given that position, we need to think of a way to have her help us.”

Xuan Tianmo felt that speaking with someone like Zhu Kongshan was very enjoyable, and the two were always able to think along the same lines. This girl was also smart enough and always thought about how to help him. Having this sort of cousin helping him from the side really did help him a great deal. He could not help but begin to look forward to Noble Lady Yuan’s plans. Once they had succeeded with this matter, if this girl took the position of empress, he really would be saved a lot of energy when managing the world. After all, this was his cousin. No matter how one looked at her, she was reliable and would be better than placing some other girl in that position. As for whether or not he liked her, this was not important. Either way, he could not possibly only have one woman at his side. If there was one to help him keep peace in the world, there would need to be ones to speak gently and keep him company. As long as the world belonged to him, what was there that he could not obtain?

Zhu Kongshan did not guess at what Xuan Tianmo was thinking. She knew that bringing up anything like succeeding was too early at the present time. There were some things that would become harder to obtain the more one coveted it. It would be better to calm down and take things one step at a time. There would eventually come a day when things would come around.

After Xuan Tianmo left, she began to prepare the gifts that would be necessary for when she visited the palace. As for the money that had been prepared for the victims of the fake medicine, it was handed to the treasury to do a final calculation. It would be left there, where she could personally deliver it after leaving the palace.

After Zhu Kongshan came to the capital, she had come to learn about her two aunts from an objective point of view. What she had just said about Imperial Concubine Li having the ambition but no ability was still being generous. As she saw it, in truth, Imperial Concubine Li was just completely inept. She was only capable of quietly tearing things down. Once things really began, it was game over! But since they wanted to try and gain a bit from her side, they could not choose to not curry favor with her.