847

Treating a Patient and Saving a Life

“Don’t spout nonsense!” The person glared, “Our madam is quite blessed. There’s no room for you to spout your nonsense!” After saying this, he paused for a moment but did not continue to vent his anger. It was not easy to get a doctor into the mountains. Those that had come in the past were some that they had forcefully kidnapped. After a few treatments, the illness remained untreated. Later on, they analyzed that it might be that those kidnapped felt unreconciled and unwilling, thus they did not treat the illness properly. Even if they were beaten and cursed, it was ineffective because their leader did not want to hurt good people for no reason. Moreover, the doctors were all men, and it was not very convenient for treating the madam. Now that there was one that came of their own volition, and it was a female doctor, he could not chase her away in a huff.

Thinking of this, his tone became gentler, as he took the initiative to cup his hands to Feng Yu Heng, “The people of the mountains are rough and speak more directly. Would the female doctor please not mind it. Come with me into the residence! Let’s go and see our leader first. Going to see the madam after that would not be late.” After saying this, he partially turned and gave a very courteous gesture, which caused Feng Yu Heng’s group to once again question their identity.

From the entrance to the middle of the residence, they walked for roughly one stick of incense in time. Along the way, they saw a number of bandits training, and Ban Zou rubbed his nose, muttering in confusion: “Why do these bandits look like they’re being trained as soldiers?”

What Ban Zou had said was correct. They were being trained as soldiers. Feng Yu Heng was very familiar with these training methods and could immediately recognize them at a glance. She did not respond to Ban Zou’s question; however, she was thinking about the origins of the people here in the mountains. Or was it just that there was someone that had a military background that the leader had taken a liking to, allowing them to train these people like soldiers? But after some more thought, that felt incorrect. People that could become bandits did not have much self-restraint. Even if there was someone that had a military background as a leader, it was impossible for them to all become so orderly. It was even more impossible for all the people to willingly follow these orders.

Silently, she pondered to herself. When she raised her head, she had already arrived at the leader’s room. Someone went inside to report, and a man that looked to be around 25 quickly came out. That person’s expression was a bit emotional, as he repeatedly wrung his hands while asking the person that had gone to report: “Is there really a female doctor?” The person’s voice was very loud, and his back was very straight. Standing there, he was like a small mountain, and he appeared very steady.

The person that had gone to report was the one that had led Feng Yu Heng’s group over. Hearing his leader ask, he quickly pointed at Feng Yu Heng and said: “It’s this miss. She says that she is a doctor, and her maidservant is carrying a medical kit. They said that it was old third that went down the mountain to find someone, and old third did indeed go down at the crack of dawn. Who knew that he really managed to find a female doctor.”

Before the leader even finished hearing the rest of the report, he walked over to Feng Yu Heng and performed a salute without saying a single word. His etiquette and positioning were accurate. It was a military salute.

Feng Yu Heng looked at him through squinted eyes. There was a scar on his chin that was the result of a cut. His skin was dark and rough, and it seemed to have been exposed to the sun for a long time. The military salute was also performed very naturally rather than forced. It was clear that he had already become accustomed to performing this sort of salute. It was just that he never thought that a female doctor that had come into the mountains would understand this sort of action.