966

The Potential of an Unrequited Love

What sort of words were those?

Not to mention the madams and young misses who had come, as even Zhu Kongshan herself was left dazed. What did she mean by “since she came”? Was it not you, Imperial Concubine Li, who personally gave me the invitation to come?

But while she could think this to herself, she could not allow it to be expressed on her face. Even if the madams and young misses behind her were lacking in this ability, she, Zhu Kongshan, was an expert in this area. Thus she put on a smile and stood up while acting as if she never heard what had just been said. While smiling, she said: “Ever since the last time Kongshan came to visit aunty, I have been looking forward to this banquet the entire time since going back. The ones who came with Kongshan to celebrate second aunt’s promotion were the madams and young misses who came along with me to perform good deeds in the northern part of the city. There are also some who did not come together with us and will be arriving later. For not coming earlier to greet aunty, I hope that aunty will not blame me. Peng Zhou has a housewarming custom, and Kongshan wanted to give a kind gesture, hoping that Zhang Ning Palace would become more lively and aunty would be able to enjoy a smooth and prosperous life.”

With Zhu Kongshan speaking up, the madams and young misses quickly stepped forward with smiles on their faces and brought out the gifts that they had brought.

Imperial Concubine Li was clear on what Zhu Kongshan meant. She had hosted a banquet and could not manage to invite many people. There would be few from inside the palace and even from outside the palace. If Zhu Kongshan did not bring these people, it was possible that the scene would have been silent and awkward. Normally speaking, she originally hoped that Zhu Kongshan would be able to bring that many people in, and she thought that with that girl’s ability to be thorough in her consideration, she would think of such a thing. But plans could not keep up with changes. Now, the situation was completely different. Feng Yuheng and Xuan Tiange had come, and they had brought the daughters of the right prime minister’s family and General Ping Nan’s family. With these four standing there, they were enough to bring the atmosphere up. She no longer needed these lowly people that Zhu Kongshan had brought to help supplement the atmosphere. That was why the people that she had hoped would come were now extras. Even if Imperial Concubine Li was clear that she should not slap someone in the face for no reason, it was hard to find any joy in her face.

Zuo’er led the palace servants forward to receive the gifts then saw that Imperial Concubine Li had no desire to speak with these people, thus she smiled and took the initiative to say: “Madams and young misses, the banquet today is in the parlor. This servant will bring you over!”

Everyone agreed. They really did not want to continue staying in this main hall. Imperial Concubine Li’s expression already made it clear that she did not welcome them. Their top priority was to quickly get away from under Imperial Concubine Li’s gaze and find a place to figure out what was going on.

The madams and young misses had left, but Zhu Kongshan stayed behind. When she had entered the hall, she had paid attention to the situation in the yard. Now that she had also entered the main hall, she had still not seen Noble Lady Yuan. She knew that Noble Lady Yuan would definitely be coming. It was just that she had not come so early! She watched Imperial Concubine Li warmly speak with Feng Yuheng, but Feng Yuheng’s tone and expression were indifferent. There were many times when she would just nod or shake her head, not even responding. The feeling was the same as with her and Imperial Concubine Li, one side was being cold and the other was being warm. It was just that the situation was flipped with Feng Yuheng.