985

Riots Break Out in the Capital

Regardless of whether it was beggars or poor folk, they were all citizens of Da Shun. The capital also was not a place covered in gold, nor was everyone living in it someone with wealth or had an official post. There were also common folk and homeless people. The northern part of the city was where the poor gathered. Although this place was not well-liked by others, they were still a part of the capital.

In just one night, a large number of citizens had died. This was definitely something that would shake the capital. Once this bad news was spread, someone immediately reported it during morning court. The number of dead was so high that even the Emperor was shocked.

The officials related to the female family members who had been working with Zhu Kongshan in the northern part of the city were all quite joyous that they had pulled out sooner. If they had not, with this sort of thing happening, it was inevitable that they would be dragged in.

As for the eighth prince, Xuan Tianmo, he was extremely puzzled by this. Everything was still perfectly fine when he had gone the previous day. How was it that so many people died in a single night? And even froze to death? This was not possible?

While he was feeling shocked, the Emperor asked his questions from the throne, saying: “Old eighth, I heard that you went to the northern part of the city yesterday?”

Xuan Tianmo quickly stepped forward to reply, reporting everything that had happened the previous day. After he finished speaking, he added: “Son left before it got dark. At that time, nothing out of the ordinary had happened. As for why so many wound up freezing to death this morning… This is something that must be investigated.”

The seventh prince, Xuan Tianhua, spoke up and recounted some information that he had gotten a hold of: “Apparently, all of the citizens who froze to death were wearing the new winter clothes given by His Highness Prince Sheng.”

“What?” The eighth prince was extremely shocked and subconsciously said: “That’s not possible! You’re lying!”

“Hm?” Xuan Tianhua looked at him in confusion, “This prince is lying?”

All of the officials lost it, saying: “How could His Highness the seventh prince lie? No matter what sort of person in this world is lying, His Highness the seventh prince would not lie!” In everyone’s eyes, Xuan Tianhua was a very unique existence. It was such that regardless of which faction someone was a part of, when faced with someone who accused Xuan Tianhua, they would all stand on Xuan Tianhua’s side and protect him.

At the same time, the ninth prince, Xuan Tianming, also spoke up, adding: “It’s more than just people freezing to death. There are also quite a few who fell ill. Oh, it would be more accurate to say that they were poisoned.” After he said this, he looked toward the Emperor and said: “Right now, pursuing blame is not important. Either way, the criminal cannot escape. The most pressing matters at the moment are taking care of the corpses and saving the injured. Hundred Herb Hall has already deployed all of its doctors to the northern part of the city. Son requests that Father Emperor sends out the palace’s imperial physicians. First, it will reduce the pressure on the doctors in the northern part of the city. Second, they will be able to provide testimony to see how exactly those people died and how they got poisoned.”

These words were met with approval from everyone, and even the eighth prince could not disagree. He really wanted to know what was going on, but he vaguely felt that it could not be unrelated to Noble Lady Yuan.