968

Ten Thousand and One Million

Noble Lady Yuan did not care what Imperial Concubine Li was thinking. she just looked around teh parlor then said: “Younger sister too, elder sister knows that you are not wealthy, but didn’t elder sister give you ten thousand taels of silver in banknotes the other day? Why not make use of that? It might be that younger sister has never hosted a palace banquet before and does not have much experience. Speaking of, palace banquets really are not hosted in such a manner.”

Imperial Concubine Li was rapidly losing face; however, Noble Lady Yuan continued to speak: “It shouldn’t be that you’re afraid of being left with no spending money after running out, right? Hah, oh you! If you spend it all, just tell elder sister. Even if elder sister needs to melt down pots and pans, I would need to help you! You must know that we are sisters.”

“Hmph!” Imperial Concubine Li finally spoke up in a mocking tone: “That’s right! This One will ask you if I run out of money because you have more money than this One. You have the support of the family, while this One does not. That’s why I never dare to spend large sums. You also know that we are sisters, but this One just cannot understand. We are both their children, yet why does the Liu family only focus on helping and supporting elder sister but does not even inquire about this daughter?”

Noble Lady Yuan laughed, “Listen to what you’re saying, younger sister. How is it that the family isn’t worried about younger sister? Every time that I write a letter to ask how they are, the family will inquire about younger sister in their return letter. Mother even said that ever since younger sister entered the palace, you have not communicated with them in the slightest. Not knowing what you’re thinking, they became worried that you would find the family a burden, thus they did not dare to come out and fawn on you.”

Once these words came out, Imperial Concubine Li had to admit it. It was indeed true that ever since she entered the palace, she had not communicated with anyone in the family. Even when her father and mother entered the palace to visit them, she deliberately avoided them. It was not as though she was doing this on purpose. It was just that she was lacking in courage and did not dare to interact with her family. Later on, she became even more of a loner and did not even want to see people. It was like this that she gradually became more distant. But regardless of how it was said, it was her mistakes that caused this result. To place the blame on her family now was truly indefensible.

Noble Lady Yuan’s words were heard by everyone in the parlor. In an instant, there were quite a few people who had begun to privately discuss Imperial Concubine Li. The majority of these accused her of not reciprocating kind intentions, and now she was also blaming others. Even Zhu Kongshan was able to understand the reason for Imperial Concubine Li treating her poorly today. The problem really did lie with Noble Lady Yuan.

“A-Heng.” Xuan Tiange leaned close to Feng Yuheng and said: “Did you know? The day before yesterday, Noble Lady Yuan provided Imperial Concubine Li with the gift of a performance troupe and had Imperial Concubine Li invite the Empress to watch the play with her. Imperial Concubine Li foolishly believed that her elder sister was doing this with good intentions, thus she went and invited the Empress. What do you think the end result was? That troupe performed a play about a head wife fighting with a concubine, and it happened that the head wife lost. Say, don’t you think it’s funny?”

Ren Xifeng smirked from hearing this, “In the Imperial Palace, the Empress is naturally the head wife, and the other members of the imperial harem, while they are of noble status, are nothing more than concubines. To perform this sort of play in front of the Empress, the Empress must have been quite offended by Imperial Concubine Li.”