Chapter 4 Plan For The Future

Ubuyashiki Kagaya, the 97th leader of the Demon Slayer Corps. Yozora stared at him. Trying to form a sentence, but the words wouldn't come out.

"This man..........why do i feel so calm around him. His voice is soothing, so much so that i can't help but feel at ease. But what happened to him, is he sick?"

Those were the thoughts in Yozora's mind. Rengoku had already left to give Ubuyashiki and him time alone to discuss there matters in privacy. To be honest he was quite nervous, to be face to face with the such an important figure.

"Yozora, allow me to say that i am honored to finally meet you. Though i wish it would have been on better circumstances."

The boy in questioned looked at the man before him. He sensed no lie, no ulterior motive. Just pure honesty.

"Yes, while i am honored to be in your presence i do wish it was on better terms than the ones we see ourselves in now."

Ubuyashiki nodded. In a way, Yozora reminded him of the twins his wife mentioned to him a while ago, Yozora and the twins his wife met were all of the same age as well. The only difference being Yozora and the younger twin were a bit more open.

"Yozora-kun. May i ask you this. What do you wish to do from here on out?

There it was. The question that always plagued Yozora's mind. He knew what he needed to do, but needs and wants aren't the same thing. He knows that in his mind, he needs to be a demon slayer and kill the demons to make his sister's dream come true. But deep down he always wondered if it was selfish to discard that dream and actually pursue what he wanted.

"I have a path to what i need to do but.....how can i know for sure if its the right one to take. One path is full of suffering but at the end is a dream becoming real. On the other i can just try living a normal life, but that would mean abandoning everything."

Ubuyashiki then stood up and walked over to Yozora. When close enough he pat his head and smiled.

"That is a call only you can make. I will not force you to sway your decision on the matter. Just know if you chose to continue to live a normal life the Demon Slayer Corps will protect you and every other humans the best we can. And should you join the group i'd happily accept you as one of my children."

Yozora just looked at the man. He felt it, this man was honest from the bottom of his heart. The boy clenched his hands as tears slowly escaped from his eyes.

"Why.....why accept someone like me? I'm not strong or talented like Akame. So why would you accept a useless child who survived because of dumb luck."

Ubuyashiki stared at the boy. He could only feel sadness from the boy. It was an understandable feeling. A boy only 10 in age lost his sister and his home. It was only natural for him to be sad. So he thought his words out carefully in hopes of easing this boy's pain, even if just a little.

"It is because you survived that i'd be happy to accept you, Yozora. Your sister laid down her life because she believed in your potential. Your potential to prevent a tragedy like that happening again. Your potential of living your life in any way you see fit. And you will not be alone. My children have taken up arms and fight the demons with all they have to protect the people. I will not force you to join. I only want for you to make a choice that you can be proud of. Just know that no matter what path you take, i'll support you."

Yozora couldn't help but hug this man as he cried. For once he felt like someone, outside his family,  actually cared for his well being. He couldn't hold back the feelings he kept to himself. So with all this said and done, he made his choice.

"I-i'll do it! I'll prevent a tragedy like what happened to me from happening again. I'll save everyone so no one feels this pain i have."

Ubuyashiki just nodded and smile. He was glad that he could help the boy. But now it was serious

"Yozora, you must prepare yourself. This path isn't an easy one. You'll have to work yourself to the bone, train your body and mind to their limits, plus becoming a demon slayer is no easy task. You'll have to take the Final Selection exam."

"I remember sis mentioning that to me once. Its sort of like an entrance exam to get into the Demon Slayer Corps...but.....i won't falter."

Ubuyashiki felt the boy's determined look in his eyes. He nods and began to take his leave, he said to himself in thought.

"I wish you the best of luck, Yozora Tsugikuni."