Chapter 37.5 The Mind of a Broken Soul

~Dream~
A single 10 year old boy is walking through a village that was engulfed in flames. It was hot, it almost felt like his lungs were on fire when he breathed. As he walked through his village that was on fire he saw the corpses of people he knew. If they weren't burnt alive then their organs were exposed to him.

"Please help me."

"You there help me!"

"Please don't leave me!!!"

He heard people screaming for his help. He knew he couldn't do anything to save them and he knew trying would get him killed. He ignored the cries for help and kept moving.

"Please, I DON'T WANNA DIE!!!"

"DON'T JUST LEAVE US HERE!!!!"

"SOMEONE SAVE US!!!!"

The boy covered his ears, trying his best to ignore the cries for help with tears in his eyes. He kept going and going until he fell to the ground. He felt it, he died. His heart was still working and he was breathing, but it felt like the person inside had already given up.

"Please kill me, Yozora."

Then he was standing before his sister Akame. She had turned into a demon. She looked as if she was fighting back something. Soon Yozora realized it was hunger that Akame was fighting back. Akame didn't want to eat him or put him in danger by staying at his side as a demon, so she asked again.

"Please kill me."

Soon he picked up a big rock. He smashed Akame's head in with the rock over.........and over....and over. He was crying the whole time as he kept this up until sunrise.

"Hey.....why didn't you save us?"

"Why did you get to live?"

"It's you're fault we're dead."

Soon Yozora turned around and he saw them. Everyone in his village that died in the fire. They were all reaching out to him trying to drag him back to that hell.

"It's your fault. It's your fault! IT'S YOUR FAULT!!!!!!"

Soon Yozora saw the same image. He saw himself only with blue eyes and the pupils were narrowed thus resembling a feline. His blade was in his hand. He looked at Yozora with a serious gaze. Though Yozora felt no emotion from the guy. No joy, anger, fear, sadness, or any emotion. Soon he moved his lips saying one thing to Yozora.

"Hey....that's hell you're walking into."
~Dream ends~

Yozora wakes up in a cold sweat. He held a hand on his chest as he breathed heavily. Lately that dream was becoming more and more frequent.

"Heh, that dream never gets easier to deal with. Though i was only 10 at the time it doesn't change what i did. I ignored those cries for help to survive. In a sense, i'm the reason they died. Then Rengoku-san found me after all that and i was saved."

Yozora got up and did some stretching. When he was finished he walked around the estate to find Shinobu.

"I was sure i was gonna die before Rengoku-san found me. Actually, i think the person who i use to be already died. Though, how come someone like me was the only survivor. To be honest, i don't think i deserve to be happy when i know this was only possible because i ignored the cries of others."

Soon Yozora walked all over the estate. He still hasn't found Shinobu, though he felt he needs time alone. Since it was still morning he walked out as he was prepared for any rambling Shinobu might do when he comes back.

He walked back to a place that he called home. That very place was the same place that someone important to him died. Right now he was in Muramasa's old workshop.

"When i was busy training, this place was attacked. Muramasa, i'm sorry i couldn't save you. I know i have no right to be here, but......i don't know. I just felt i had a need to be here."

Soon Yozora sat down at the entrance of the workshop. He was alone and free to let his thoughts roam free for awhile. He still remembers when he first came here, he and Muramasa fought right off the bat. Yet, they still had a bond that he'd always remember.

"Mom, dad, Akame, my village, the citizens, and now Muramasa. It seems as though whenever i get close or open up to something its ripped away from me. Hero of Justice, don't make me laugh. I can't even save myself from the nightmares, but i still have to make that dream come true. To make sure no one else goes through that hell, i'll save everyone in front of me. I don't care if i get hurt, betrayed, or even die. If it saves even one person then i won't have any regrets."