Chapter 57 The Stage is Set

Shinobu was walking to Onui's workshop. She heard about what happened to Yozora from Muichiro and Sanemi, so she decided to check up on him.

Yozora soon opened the door to the workshop. Onui was out buying supplies so she asked him to watch over it until she came back. Though he was surprised to see who was at the door.

"Oh my, oh my~. You really went through a great a ordeal didn't you. I'm glad you're okay, Yozora-kun."

"Y-yeah. I'm happy you thought about checking on me. Please, come in."

Shinobu went inside and sat down next to Yozora. They decided to have a small chat with each other since they haven't seen each other in a while.

"So i heard you finally became a pillar and you've only been a demon slayer for a month. Congratulations, Yozora-kun."

"No, i didn't do anything worthy of such praise. Though being a pillar means i hold even more responsibility. I can't afford to make any mistakes like i did before."

Shinobu looked at Yozora worriedly. Despite how strong he is, Yozora never really seemed satisfied with himself no matter how many good deeds he's done. It was almost like he was hollow inside.

"Yozora-kun, i'm glad you're alive. Despite how reckless, stubborn, and crazy you are. I actually enjoy your company."

"You know i would be more flattered if you didn't insult me during half of that sentence."

They both found themselves laughing together. They didn't admit it, but they were actually close to each other. Yozora knew Shinobu is one of the people he wants to protect. Soon he stood up and prepares to go in the backyard of the workshop.

"Hmm? Where are you going Yozora-kun?"

"Isn't it obvious? I'm going to start training."

"What a funny joke. You're still injured so you should rest."

"What are you talking abo-"

"I said you're still injured so you should rest."

Yozora was about to decline, but as he saw Shinobu grabbing her sword he immediately sat down. He may be close to her, but even he knows not to make Shinobu angry.

"Oh yeah i brought you something. I know how much you like sweets so i brought you this."

Shinobu hands Yozora a box of sweets. Though she was surprised to see his eyes twinkling as he had a small smile.

"Oh my, oh my~. It looks like i found your weakness, Yozora-kun."

"H-huh? Ummm....thank you for the gift. I appreciate it."

Soon Yozora ran into his room. As he did this, Onui and Nora walked into the shop as they saw Shinobu.

"Onui-san, it's nice to see you. That girl with you must be Nora."

The girls were surprised to see a pillar here. They were nervous about what to talk about. Then suddenly they heard singing coming from Yozora's room.

~In Yozora's room~
Yozora is smiling happily to himself. As he opened the box Shinobu gave him, he saw various sweets inside including his favorite. He was lying on his back as he was enjoying the food he received.

"Oh, doughnuts! So delicious, doughnuts! Delicious to the hole, doughnuts! By myself, i eat doughnuts! Lying on my back, i eat doughnuts! A forbidden pleasure, a sense of guilt, and..........."

Yozora keeps smiling to himself. He was happily singing because he hasn't eaten anything sweet for a while now. He had a cup of tea in one hand and a doughnut in the other. He kept singing to himself without a care in the world.