Chapter 113 Flames of Resolve

~Flashback~
Rengoku was sent on a mission. He was tasked with getting rid of a demon that has appeared in a village. As he arrived at the village, he was horrified by what he saw.

The entire village was caught in a huge fire. As he ran forward, he saw various corpses. While some were burned alive, others had their innards exposed to the world. He didn't want to leave though, he needed to find someone....he wanted to find anyone. He already failed to protect the village, all he wants at this moment is to save one person.

As he kept searching for survivors, he noticed the sun was rising. He was so close to believing that everyone in the village died. When he looked in the distance, he saw a hand slowly reaching for the sky. As he rushed over there, he moved some rubble away and saw a young boy.

"So you're a survivor. Thank goodness!!!!! I'm sorry i did not make it in time, but i shall keep you safe for the time being!"

The boy's eyes looked empty as Rengoku looked at him. The flame pillar smiled at the boy, even though he was too late...he manage to save at least one person. As he picks up the boy, he made a promise to him.

"Don't worry. I promise, we will avenge every single person lost here today. This i swear as a member of the Demon Slayer Corps!"

~Flashback ends~
The smoke clears as it revealed the results of the clash between the Flame Pillar and Upper Moon 3. Akaza didn't seem to be injured however, Rengoku lost his left eye as he was covered in blood.

"Don't die on me, Kyojuro. Even if you fight with the intention of sacrificing your body, its all pointless. The wonderful slashes you have attacked me with has already healed."

Rengoku could tell he was at a disadvantage. His left eye was smashed, his ribs were broken, and even his organs were wounded. However, he wasn't ready to give up. As he looked at Akaza, he felt his heart beating faster and faster. His body felt as if it might erupt in flames.

"If you were a demon, you'd be cured in a blink of an eye. If you were a demon, this would be a scratch. No matter how much you struggle, humans can't defeat demons."

"...what the hell did you just say."

Rengoku had an angry look on his face. He stopped smiling as he looked at Akaza. He remembered when Yozora first became a demon slayer, when he became a pillar, and when he and the boy were on a mission together. He knew how much Yozora struggled, how much he suffered, how hard he worked. He knew all of the accomplishments the boy achieved through all this. As he heard Akaza saying all of that was pointless, he felt an immense amount of anger.

"You say its pointless. That no matter what we do, humans will never defeat a demon! Akaza, you are a fool!!! I've seen it for myself, the potential we humans hold. I saw how they struggled, how they suffered, and how powerful they become after conquering all their troubles. For you to say its all worthless, it is the height of hubris!!!!"

Suddenly Rengoku swung his blade at Akaza with a monstrous amount of strength. As the demon looked at Rengoku, he could've sworn he saw a mark slowly appearing on his face.

"I will not allow you to insult humans and what they do for a bright future. I will fulfill my duties! I won't let anybody die here! I will set my heart ablaze!!!!!"

Suddenly Rengoku punched Akaza in the gut as he sent the demon flying. As the demon was still in shock, Rengoku lunged forth. As Rengoku charged at Akaza, his noticed something. As he looked out of his remaining eye, just for a moment....Akaza's body was almost see through.

"Is this it? The "cursed" sight Yozora talked about. Yozora......this sight of yours, i can understand how normal people can view it as cursed...but in my opinion...both you and your sight......are a blessing!!!!!"