Chapter 96 Yozora's True Wish

Sanemi soon scratched his arm with his sword. As he did, he lets his blood drip over the box. Soon he puts his sword in his other hand to stab the box.

"Come out demon! It's the human blood you love so much!"

Tanjiro screamed in anger as he tries to go towards Sanemi. However, Yozora twists Tanjiro's arm behind his back as he pinned him down. Tanjiro grunts in pain, as Yozora looks at him in disgust.

"Do you truly believe that your sister's resolve is so weak, that this alone would force her to eat humans? Don't move, do so and i'll break your arm."

Tanjiro could tell by the tone of Yozora's voice. One false move and he'll break his arm. All Tanjiro could do was watch what was happening. Despite this, Tanjiro felt that Yozora's words had more meaning than it sounded. While it sounds like Yozora hates him with a passion, it almost sounded like he was being scolded.

As Sanemi opened the box that held Nezuko, the demon starts to slowly get out as she glared at the wind pillar. However, when Yozora felt her ki he instantly knew what was happening. Nezuko was trying to resist the blood of a marechi.

 Nezuko was trying to resist the blood of a marechi

"I know....i know all too well. If i denied Akame of her final wish. If i had been more selfsih.....if i tried to find a way of turning her back into a human......i would be in the same position as the Kamado siblings. Was the choice i made a mistake? Was the path i'm following a mistake? Was killing Akame and granting her final wish a mistake?"

As Yozora was thinking, Sanemi chuckled as he saw Nezuko struggling to restrain herself from attacking. As Nezuko looked to the side she saw Tanjiro being pinned down by Yozora. However, something unexpected happened. For just a brief moment, as she looked at Yozora, she saw an image of Tanjiro overlapping with the boy.

"The feeling of her ki is different. Why? Why is she looking at me with such a sad look in her eyes? Why do i feel so much sadness when she looked at me? I don't need your pity. I don't need your pity! I DON'T NEED YOUR DAMN PITY!"

Soon Nezuko turned her head away from Sanemi's bleeding arm. As Ubuyashiki asked for what happened, his children told him on how Nezuko turned her head in disgust and despite being stabbed three times by Sanemi and how he flaunted his bloody arm, she didn't bite him.

"So now, it's been proven that Nezuko won't attack humans, right?"

After hearing Ubuyashiki's words, Yozora lets go of Tanjiro and pushed the boy forward. As Tanjiro looked at his sister, Ubuyashiki spoke up.

"Tanjiro.........I'm sure even after this, there are some who can't accept Nezuko. You must prove it to them starting now. That you and Nezuko can fight as Demon Slayers. That you can be useful."

Suddenly Tanjiro bowed before Ubuyashiki. He didn't know how to describe this feeling. Was it because of his voice that he felt so light in the head? He couldn't understand this one bit.

"Go out and defeat a Twelve Kizuki. Do that, and you'll be accepted by all. And it will give your words weight."

Tanjiro's eyes widen at the man's words. As he held his head up high, he decided to make a vow right at this moment.

"I.......Nezuko and I will defeat Muzan Kibutsuji! Nezuko and i will do it for sure."

While Ubuyashiki smiled, he had to at least give Tanjiro some facts before he said something else. Though he did admire his determination.

"As you are now, you are ill-equipped to do so. Tanjiro, for now let's start with the Twelve Kizuki, okay?"

"R-right!"

As most of the pillars chuckled at Tanjiro's outburst, Shinobu noticed Yozora was silent. In fact, when she looked closely she saw him tightly clenching his fist. However, Ubuyashiki was not done speaking.

"Tanjiro, it goes without speaking that the Hashiras of the Demon Slayer Corps have phenomenal skills. After training themselves to death, they've defied death, and they've also slain a great number of demons. That is why the Hashiras receive respect and preferential treatment. So, Tanjiro, mind your manners when you speak."

"Y-yes sir."

"One more thing....Sanemi, Yozora. Don't torment the younger ones too much."

"As you wish."

Sanemi gave his response to Ubuyashiki. However, Yozora was dead silent. Not a single word escaped his lips as he stood up.

"I'm sorry, Oyakata-sama. But may i please be excused from the pillar meeting."

Muichiro wanted to speak up to Yozora, however Rengoku puts his arm in front of the boy. As Muichiro looked at the flame pillar, he noticed that he also had a look of concern.

"Yes you may, i'm sure one of your fellow hashira would be glad to inform you on what happened. You seem to be troubled at the moment, so take as much time as you want. You seem to be in need of clearing your mind."

"Thank you....thank you.......i can't thank you enough."

As Yozora began to walk away, he went pass Tanjiro. For one brief moment, both of their eyes landed on each other. After that, Yozora immediately left the headquarters. While everyone else wondered why Yozora left, Rengoku had one single thought.

"They're so alike, so similar. Even what Kamado said about killing Kibutsuji. It sounds like something Yozora would say. They're so alike, and yet that's the thing Yozora hates the most."

~Meanwhile~
Yozora enters Onui's workshop as he sits on the backyard. Onui heard him come in, so she decided to check up on him. As she rushed to the backyard with a smile on her face, she saw Yozora sitting alone. However, her smile didn't last long as she saw Yozora.

"Yozora..........are you okay?"

"Huh, of course i am. I'm sorry if i worried you for a moment. Its nothing to be concerned about."

It was always like this. She knew Yozora was suffering. He always does anything he can to help others, yet it's the opposite when it comes to himself. Onui suddenly hugged Yozora close to her and showed no signs of letting go.

"You can let go of me now, Onui. I'm honestly fine, there is no need to worry about m-"

"Well someone has to worry about you if you won't!!!!"

Yozora sat in silence as he heard Onui. Soon he felt Onui's body shivering. When he looked at the girl, he saw that she was crying.

"You always look out for others, so someone needs to look out for you. If i don't....then who knows what will happen to you. That's why i'll do anything to bring back your smile that you lost! So please tell me....what can make you happy at this point?"

Yozora was silent. He was looking for an answer. He needed to be a hero of justice, but now he was starting to have doubts. What would make him happy? What would take away all this pain and sadness that he ignored? Soon Yozora smiled, but the next few words he said was tragic. The fact he had a genuine smile on his face made it even worse.

"What would make me happy? Well there is only one thing i can think of right now. Onui.......would you commit double suicide with me?"