Chapter 16 A Promise

Onui was sitting outside looking at flowers. Since her Grandpa was busy in his workshop making a sword and her brother was cleaning, she decided to use her free time. As she watched the flowers, she heard footsteps getting closer to her.

"I told you i'd come back, Onui."

She recognized this voice. She got up and ran forward, her legs seeming to move on their own. Yozora walked towards her as he saw Onui jump and he caught her in his arms.

"I'm so glad. You came back. Thank goodness."

"Onui....."

"Your back is injured and even your haori is ripped up?! What happened?!"

"Onui."

"What have i told you about rushing in all reckless?!"

"Onui!!!!! Too tight!!!! You're hugging me too tight!!!!!!!"

The warm hug soon felt like a death grip as Onui hugged so tightly that some of Yozora's wounds opened back up. She soon started to panic as she rushed in the house to get bandages.

"I'm sorry, i'm sorry, i'm sorry."

Muramasa stepped out the shop after hearing the noise. He saw Yozora's injured form and sighed. He walked towards him and pat his head.

"Welcome back, ya brat."

Yozora smiled at the swordsmith as they all went inside. Onui was putting bandages on Yozora, while Muramasa made tea. Yozora told them everything that happened during the Final Selection. From meeting Zenitsu to fighting Ibaraki Douji. Soon Muramasa stood up with Onui as they both left the room to get something.

"Man.....a lot has happened and i only just joined. I made a friend, i became a member of the Demon Slaying Corps, and here i am now."

Of course he missed everyone in his village and his family. He even wished he could've met his mom. But he was happy that he made a friend and met people like Muramasa and Rengoku. He was grateful to them, Rengoku found him and Muramasa gave him a home. He didn't know how to pay them back, but he'll make sure he stays alive to do so.

"Zora-chan. Can we talk for a moment, please."

Onui was calling for Yozora as he walked to her. They both sat down in the backyard of the shop as Onui stares at the flowers,while Yozora gazed at the moon. It was silent, but they both enjoyed themselves.

"Yozora, you said you joined because you wanted to make your sister's dream real, right? To save as many people as you can. Why is that?"

The boy looked at her. Sure he told her about the dream but he never said why. That fact is what scared her abit. She knew his heart was in the right place, but she felt worried for some reason.

"Why? Well.....I don't want to see anyone die in front of me when I could have done something. If it means pain, i'll endure. If it means my body is broken,i'll push it to the limit to keep fighting. I just don't want to make the same mistake as i did back then."

Onui felt a pain in her heart. The sound of his voice, the look in his eyes. She finally figured out why Yozora was different from most people she's met. He was damaged, horribly so. She wanted to help him, it didn't matter how. She wanted help him not feel so broken.

"Yozora....i'm glad we met. But can you promise me this. I know you'll be busy slaying demons, but can you promise to always think of us and to come back alive."

"Onui................."

"I know you want to help people, but learn to be a little selfish. Its not wrong to think of your own survival sometimes. So please, care for yourself a bit more. I'd be lonely if you were gone."

Yozora suddenly hugged Onui. She was surprised by this action as a tint of red was present on her cheeks. However she hugged back, she felt it. She felt that her words reached him, even if it was a small amount.

"Onui........i promise. When this is all over i'll come back. I'll take you to see wisteria flowers with me someday. To make that true, i'll return alive."

She was happy to hear those words from him. Onui almost didn't want to let go of him. However she went inside for a second and came back with a sword. Yozora looked at the girl in shock.

"Is that my-"

"Yes. Gramps isn't called the best swordsmith for nothing. He finished it for you. Your nichirin sword."

Yozora stared at the sword in awe. He unsheated the blade and held it in the air. Soon he noticed the blade started to change color. It turned to a dark shade of black.

 It turned to a dark shade of black

"It actually changed color. Heh, i like it. It kind of goes with my name."

Soon his Kasugai Crow landed next to him. It stood there as it spoke of his mission.

"Yozora-san. Head north. Head north. There has been a report of serial murders happening in Asakusa. Please hurry."

With that the crow flew away. Seeing now that he has a mission, Yozora prepared himself.

"Onui, i promise i'll come back safely."

With that he went inside and changed into his demon slayer uniform. His sword was sheathed and now beside him. As he walks out he took a deep breathe and began to leave.

"My first mission. I won't fail."

~Scene change, outskirts of Asakusa~A lone man is seen inside a bamboo forest

A lone man is seen inside a bamboo forest. Beneath its feet are heads, limbs, and blades of swordsmen that tried to kill him. This was the creature who took up killing to find someone who can challenge him, a sword genius. He held both of his swords. One was sheathed, as the other shined a bright red.

"This isn't enough. I wonder who'll show up next. Hehehehehe. Well then...guess i'll wait and see. I'll be waiting......my victim."