Chapter 23 Inferno of Rage

It has been 2 days after Yozora has met Tomoe. During this time, he didn't find any trace of a demon. However, instead he had an uneasy feeling. One that he knew all too well. It was a feeling that told him to hurry.

"Tomoe-san...............something just isn't right. I know she's strong but, what if something stronger got to her."

The sun was still out, no demons would be out for now. Yozora looked around the town in Shimosa, asking everyone about Tomoe. They told him about how skilled a warrior she was, how she was a widow,but what made him uneasy was that they all said they haven't seen her anywhere.

"This is bad. How can she go missing that fast? Not to mention i've been here for two days and there is no sign of a demon. None of this adds up."

Soon time began to pass. Yozora searched everywhere for Tomoe but found no trace. He prayed to the gods that she wasn't eaten by a demon.  The sun starts to set and he hasn't found her all day. So now he plans on patrolling the area, to keep people safe from any attacks.

The sun was now down, the moon taking its place. Yozora looked up at the night sky. Letting himself get lost in his thoughts.

"This is where it all started for me. Under this night sky, flames consumed innocent people and homes. Under this night sky my sister ,Akame, lost her life. And its under this night sky i promised to get stronger, so no one goes through that ever again."

Soon Yozora felt a familiar ki nearby. This ki belonged to Tomoe. He ran trying to find her, however her ki felt different. Her ki was calming, yet powerful when he first met her. But now all Yozora felt from it was unbridled rage and hatred.

"Not again......please. Don't tell me someone else i knew turned into a demon. NOT AGAIN!!!!"

He soon found himself in a empty field. No trees, no plants, it was just a barren wasteland.  All he saw there was fire.

"No.....no......."

Seeing these flames brings back those awful memories if when he was younger. The flames that took everything from him.

"Why? Why was i the only one to survive? Its not fair, why was i the only one to survive that hell?"

Yozora smacked himself in the face to focus. Right now, he was getting closer and closer to the source of this. He was getting closer to where Tomoe was.

"Tomoe-san, i'll save you from this rage and hatred. No matter the cost!"

The woman in question is standing in the center of the wasteland. Waiting for Yozora to arrive where she is. The words of the man that turned her into a demon ring inside her head.

"Don't fail him like you failed your husband."

Tomoe's instincts told her that the man was nothing but evil. Willing to use any means necessary for his own goals. Emotionally manipulate, lies, that man was a true demon. Yet, his words.......she couldn't deny them. She knew it was true, she failed to save Yoshinaka.

When Yozora told her about his dream to save everyone, those were the exact words her husband spoke of. Yet it was that beautiful dream that got him killed. She won't let another soul walk down that path. She wouldn't let another soul destroy themselves for such an impossible dream.

"Tomoe-san..........so it really is you......"

Yozora stood before Tomoe. She was just as beautiful as he remembered. The only difference was that horns were growing out of her head. Her once calm and welcoming ki replaced with rage and spite.

"Yozora-kun.........your dream is beautiful. I can't even laugh at it. But i must tell you its impossible to reach. Even if you can make it true, it will just betray you."

Yozora was shocked to hear these words from Tomoe. However he remembers when he was younger he told Akame that dream was impossible. Never the less, he will make it true.

"Sure, it may seem impossible. It might betray me but i won't betray the people i'll save. That's why i'll save everyone in front of me, starting with you, Tomoe!!!!"

Tomoe held her head down. The seriousness in his tone, the determination in his eyes, and that dream. It was all like her husband. But there was one difference. Her husband did this out of love for her and his country, meanwhile Yozora......he wanted to save everyone but not himself.

"Yozora-kun, you can try all you want. But some people can't be saved. I'll never forgive this country. He wanted to save everyone but when he had no use the very people he saved killed him. I WON'T EVER FORGIVE THIS COUNTRY FOR WHAT IT DID TO HIM AND HIS DREAM!!!!!"

"I see. But we need to focus. You're a demon and i'm a demon slayer. You know what we must do."

Yozora unsheathed his nichirin sword and Tomoe held her own sword in right hand and a naginata in her left.

"Right, but don't worry Yozora. I'll save you. I'll kill you, before you destroy yourself for that dream."