Chapter 25 A Hero Betrayed By All

~Flashback~
"Yoshinaka-sama, are you sure this is wise."

Tomoe looked at the back of her husband. He was facing forward, ready for battle, but to Tomoe it looked like the back of a person with a burden to carry and no one to depend on.

"I'm positive Tomoe, after all this for the future of Japan and also our future together. I'll protect everyone and i'll come back to make our future a bright one."

Yoshinaka went off to the battlefield with his allies. There were enemy troops waiting, yet with a smile on his face he charged to battle. He was sure to end the tyrannical rule of the Taira rejime.

"He saved everyone....yet no one will save him."

Tomoe had joined the war and also lead her troops to assist Yoshinaka. The battle was long and rigorous, yet they were victorious.

"After the war we lived in peace. I was so happy. Yoshinaka kept his word, no one died. It felt as if his one impossible dream came true until....."

Soon Yoshinaka was summoned to meet the Genji clan, the people helped during the war, for an important discussion. Tomoe was unaware of all this happening as she was at their home wanting to surprise Yoshinaka with his favorite meal. The leader of the Genji clan spoke to Yoshinaka.

"You have done well. Both you and Tomoe have driven off our enemy and established our rule, Yoshinaka."

Yoshinaka smiled, he was happy he could keep the casualties small. He was certain that the future would be bright now. In his heart, his dream came true. To be in a time of peace with his allies he trusted and his wife. He felt at peace after all the bloodshed.

"However........you shall now be punished as a criminal for murder."

Suddenly some guards pinned Yoshinaka to the ground. Another guard stepped forward with a blade in hand. Yoshinaka then looked at the leader.

"What is this?! I thought we were at a time of peace?! Why am i being branded as a criminal?!"

The leader of the Genji clan looked at Yoshinaka and laughed. He soon looked at the warrior before him and had an empty look in his eyes.

"Yes, we are at a time of peace. But what use do we have of you? A warrior in a time of peace is worthless. We have no need for you, so we'll dispose of both you and Tomoe. A warrior without a battlefield is meaningless."

He couldn't believe it. The people he fought so hard to protect.....they were gonna throw him and his wife away like they were nothing. With all his strength Yoshinaka pushed the guards off of him and ran to get Tomoe.

"Seize him!!!!! Bring me back his head when you are done with him."

After hearing the orders the guards chase after Yoshinaka.

"Why? My husband was a good man and only wanted to protect everyone. So why?"

Yoshinaka kicked down the door of their home. He soon found Tomoe and carried her, running as fast as we can.

"Yoshinaka-sama, what on earth is going on?!"

"............the leader branded me a criminal. So they want me to be executed. However.......they wanted you too so i decided. To protect you and this country i love......"

Yoshinaka then puts Tomoe down. He soon walks toward the guards putting his hands up.

"It's only me you want, right? I will come along peacefully. You may execute me. If people see a "criminal" run loose it will cause panic. To prevent that i will face punishment. I only ask...that you let my wife go."

Soon Yoshinaka was then sentenced to public execution. The leader of the Genji clan wanted him to be hung. Yoshinaka was walking to his place of death. But unknown to him and the clan leader, Tomoe was watching from a distance.

"I didn't know what to do. My husband only wanted peace. So why, why must he face punishment. I want to save him, but i know him. If i do it will cause panic and the dream he worked so hard for would perish."

As soon as Yoshinaka had a noose around his neck he looked at a certain direction. Tomoe realized he was looking at her and was moving his mouth. He was saying his last words.

"I'm sorry, Tomoe. It seems our future together was short lived. But i know if anyone like me appears with a dream......i only ask....you help them in anyway you see fit."

With tears flooding her eyes, Tomoe ran as far as her legs could take her. Even after all this.....even after being betrayed......even after being betrayed by the people he saved. Yoshinaka still had a smile on his face.

"Why......why was a hero with a dream so pure, put to his death."
~Flashback end~

"I'm sorry Yoshinaka-sama. But your dream must end....because a dream that beautiful....only ends in corruption."