Chapter 56 Mourning and Tribute

~Timeskip, 2 days~
Yozora was at the Demon Slayer Corps' headquarters. He was sitting in front Ubuyashiki to give his report of his mission dealing with Takasugi.

"I see, you rescued Nora and defeated Takasugi. Though i can tell something is clouding your mind. I'm sorry if i am being rude, but would you like to talk about it."

Yozora looked at Ubuyashiki. His voice calmed him down a bit as he took a deep breath. When he was ready, he decided to tell him.

"There was another person who Takasugi took. It was Tasuke Muramasa, Onui's little brother. By the time i saw him again, he was already turned to a demon and i........i........"

Ubuyashiki puts a hand on Yozora's head. As Yozora looked at the man, he saw a smile on his face.

"You truly are a kind person, Yozora. Basically, you think you didn't save Tasuke but that is not the case. I believe you did save him. If you had let him live, it would have prolonged his suffering. I believe Onui Muramasa would also be heartbroken to see her brother as anything else but human. You showed him mercy, granted his last request, and he passed away with no regrets."

Ubuyashiki stopped patting Yozora's head. Soon he stood up as he held out a hand towards Yozora.

"Yozora, you saved Tasuke. It may not have been in the way you imagined, but you saved him. However, do not doubt your strength. You are the strongest person to have shown him mercy. It takes a strong man to make the toughest of choices."

"Oyakata-sama, thank you. I'm not worthy of such praise. I promise i won't let something like that happen again. I'll protect everyone here to the best of my abilities. So i ask of you, am i worthy to become your pillar?"

Ubuyashiki smiled at the boy on front of him. He could tell that Yozora has a lot of potential. Both as a person and as a demon slayer. Soon he shook Yozora's hand as the boy looked at him.

"You are more than worthy Yozora. Yozora Tsugikuni, you will be the Moon Pillar, the Tenth Hashira. With every experience you gain i'm sure even your dream will come true."

"Thank you, Oyakata-sama. I promise....as a Pillar.....i will live up to your expectations."

~Onui's Workshop~
Yozora walks into the workshop as he saw Nora sitting down. As soon as she saw him, she gave Yozora a hug. She noticed that after Tasuke's death, Yozora didn't get much sleep lately.

"Yozora, you should really take better care of yourself. Onui and I are getting pretty worried about you."

"I know, i'm sorry for worrying you two. Its just not easy getting over the lost of a loved one."

Nora looked at Yozora. He didn't show it, but she knew this death opened up some old wounds in Yozora. She soon leaned close to him with tears in her eyes.

"I'm sorry Yozora, this is all my fault. This all happened because i got you involved with my problems. Its all my-"

Nora couldn't finish her sentence as she felt Yozora hold both of her hands. She looked him in the eyes and saw him crying as well.

"It's not your fault. All you wanted was to live your life. You didn't want or ask to be in that horrible situation. It wasn't anyone's fault. We were all just dealt a bad hand in our lives. Though if Tasuke was here, i'm sure he wouldn't want to see us suffering."

As Nora looked at Yozora she realized something. Instead of the usual empty look he had in his eyes, all she saw was sadness and regret.

"Why? Both him and Akame think i'm a nice person. Why would they think that of the person who robbed them of a future?"

Nora looked at Yozora in shock. She never knew Yozora kept this type of guilt inside him. That's when she realized something. He's always saving others, yet he's never even thought of saving himself once.

"Yozora, no one blames you. I'm sure Akame and Tasuke loved you til the very end. So don't blame yourself, you kept them away from future suffering. In my eyes you are the kindest because its takes a strong heart to make that big a sacrifice."

Nora placed both of her hands on each side of Yozora's face. She looked closely at the boy's eyes while he was looking back at her.

"I don't know if it will make you feel better, but i'm glad you wanted to save both of us and didn't want to abandon either of us

"I don't know if it will make you feel better, but i'm glad you wanted to save both of us and didn't want to abandon either of us. You truly are a nice person, Yozora."

"Nora.................."

As they were talking, Yozora felt someone's ki nearby. Soon the door opened as Onui walked inside.

"Yozora, dinner is rea-"

Onui stopped as she saw Nora holding Yozora's face and the position they were in. With a red face she stepped out of the room.

"Just come down when you're ready to eat."

Onui went back to the kitchen. She was happy Nora was able to cheer up Yozora, but she felt slightly annoyed.

"Am i jealous? No no no no. Yozora and i are just close friends. I think.....wait i mean...umm.....why is my heart so complicated?"

"Onui, are you okay?"

Onui jumped a bit because she didn't expect Yozora to be in the kitchen so fast. When she looked at him, she felt him put a hand on his shoulder.

"Onui, could you sing for a moment please."

"Huh? Why now all of a sudden?"

"Well.....i know Tasuke loved hearing you sing. I considered it to be a send off for him. Plus i........i think your voice is beautiful and your singing was always soothing."

Yozora looked to the side as his face was slightly red. Onui giggled seeing this side of Yozora since he's usually not very open with his emotions. She smiled at Yozora as she sung to him to help him be at ease and for Tasuke to hear as he goes to the heavens.

"I'll pick a red flower and give it to you
I'll put it in your hair
Red flower, red flower, in your hair
Blooms and sways like the sun."

"I'll pick a white flower and give it to you
I'll put it on your chest
White flower, white flower, on your chest
Blooms and sways like the moon."