Chapter 43 Emptiness of the Soul

Yozora, Rengoku, and Nora are all leaving Asakusa. Their next destination was a house with a wisteria family crest. Yozora was silent through out this entire journey.

"Excuse me, Rengoku-san. I want to ask you something."

"Sure, i will happily ask any question you may have!"

"Well it's just.....why does Yozora care so much. I mean your only mission was to kill that demon and you did, so why is Yozora so concerned about Takasugi."

Nora found it strange how a guy she just met was this devoted to helping her. Yozora could've lost his life in that fight with the demon last night, yet the first thing he mentioned to her was that he will help her with all his might.

"Hmmm. If i were to answer, he just hates seeing people suffer. Yozora is the type who would do anything just for others to smile and share a laugh. Perhaps to him, the act of helping others is his reward."

Nora wasn't expecting that type of answer. She thought she was going to be used by him just like how Takasugi would use people to feed demons. She looked at Yozora's back as they were all walking.

"His back.....it looks like the back of someone who lost so much. I can't begin to understand how he's feeling."

They soon arrived at the Wisteria Family's house. There they met old lady Hiba. The woman immediately fed them and provided a place to sleep for them. Yozora was sitting outside thinking to himself.

"After this we'll head back to headquarters and discuss the situation with Oyakata-sama. Geez, if i ever get a break without injuries i should visit Tasuke. Now that Onui's my swordsmith he's probably feeling lonely, but since he's staying with Senjuro at least he's got a friend."

Nora looked at Yozora who was sitting all by himself. She found him to be quite interesting, but something about him felt off. He wasn't normal by any means and for some reason the fact he doesn't want anything from her even though he's risking his life has her worried.

"He wants to help me and doesn't even want anything in return. But he could die if he's not careful.....does he not value his life."

Nora suddenly hugged Yozora from behind. He was surprised by this action, but he didn't stop her. All Yozora did was look at the sky.

"Hey Yozora, is there anything you want? I don't mean your desire of saving people for their sake, but something you want for yourself."

Yozora thought about it for a moment. What is something that he wants? He never really thought about it.

"I don't want anything. I'm sure the people who died had desires that never got granted. It's unfair to the deceased to prioritize my own needs over others. Though i guess the act of helping others is a reward in itself."

Nora's eyes widen when she heard this. When he spoke of his desire and when she tried to figure out his personality, all she felt from him was a constant emptiness. How could a person her age end up like this?

".....maybe if i took him to father, he could be lead to an answer. I'll take him to the church if we have time."

While Nora was in her thoughts, Yozora held a guilty look on his face. He felt bad for lying to her, but he didn't need her to worry about him. He knew his desire would never come true.

"My desire......i guess it would be.....to eat a meal with Mother, Father, and Akame. Just sitting down, laughing, and enjoy a life without the need of swordsmen."

~Meanwhile~
Takasugi was seen walking into a church. As he did he saw a man standing near an altar.

"I will kill, i will let live. I will harm and heal. None will escape me, none shall escape my sight."

Takasugi was walking towards the man. He kept listening to the man as his mind seemed to have been occupied.

"Be crushed. I welcome those who have grown old and those who have lost. Devote yourself to me, learn from me, and obey me. Rest:do not forget song, do not forget prayer, and do not forget me. I am light and relieve you all of your burdens."

Takasugi could see blood dripping from the altar. He saw the priest has stabbed several blades into a demon he has captured. It seemed he has been torturing the thing for awhile.

"Do not pretend. Retribution for forgiveness, betrayal for trust, despair for hope, darkness for light, dark death for the living."

Takasugi could tell that this man was just like Yozora. They both had an emptiness inside, however the priest found what could give him enjoyment while Yozora hasn't found something he can enjoy yet.

"Relief is in my hands. I will add oil to your sins and leave a mark. Eternal life is given through a death. Ask for forgiveness here. I, the incarnation, will swear."

The priest soon decapitates the demon with his blades as blood taints the floor of the church. The demon's body crumbles away as the priest walked to Takasugi. When he stood in front of him, the man only said two words.

"Kyrie Eleison."

Takasugi looked at the man with a knowing smile. This man was someone who held demons captive for his own enjoyment. The priest was someone who would watch the world burn with a smile on his face. A man who knows justice but can only be satisfied by doing evil. Yes, this man in front of him was the embodiment of chaos.

"We meet again, Kotomine."