Chapter 41 A Demon and Flames Under the Night Sky

~Next Day~

"Rengoku-san, this is our first mission together and there's a lot at stake."

"Yes, we must defeat this demon! However, who's to say this Takasugi man will not harbor another demon. If we are to fully stop this madness we must also take him down!"

Yozora nodded, he agreed with Rengoku on this. If they want to get rid of this problem for good they would need to either capture or kill Takasugi so no more humans will be fed to demons.

Nora looked at Yozora closely. She wasn't expecting for a person she just met to be this willing to save an individual. Especially after finding out he was the one that Takasugi wants to kill. She was still concerned, she saw for herself what that monster was like. Could they really be able to defeat it?

"Don't worry about us, Nora. We'll protect you and anyone else from that demon and Takasugi. So please, just wait for us to come back."

Nora looked at the boy and gave him a soft nod. Seeing this, Rengoku and Yozora go outside the inn. They needed to eliminate that demon and then they'd figure out what to do from there.

As they patrol the city, Rengoku looked at Yozora. He remembered why he was assigned to this mission along with Yozora.

~Flashback~
Rengoku was in Ubuyashiki's quarters after the man called for him to arrive. When Ubuyashiki arrived with his children's assistance, Rengoku bowed his head.

"Oyakata-sama, i am happy to be at your service. Please tell me what you wish to task me with."

"Thank you, Kyojuro. There is a demon on the outskirts of Asakusa. I have already informed Yozora of this mission and he accepted. Tell me, what do you think of Yozora after he's been in the Demon Slayer Corp for a month."

"He has tremendous potential, Oyakata-sama. He has grown so much that i find it hard to believe he's the same young man from 4 years ago. Plus he's had a positive influence on the Mist Pillar as well. With a few more battles, i'm sure Yozora's strength will only get better with experience. But if i may be so bold, why do you ask this of me."

Ubuyashiki looked at Rengoku with a smile. Truth be told, he asked the same question with Shinobu and Muichiro earlier. After hearing Rengoku's statement he decided to tell him the reason why.

"Yozora has already killed around 53 demons when he joined. Kyojuro, i have an offer ready for Yozora. I want you to join him on his mission. To see with your own eyes at how much he's grown. After that mission i'd like you to tell me the results. Think of it as a test for him."

Rengoku accepted this task with honor. He was also curious on how much Yozora has improved. Everytime he talked to Shinobu, she said he would always come back injured but never said it was because of carelessness. It was because his foes were just that strong.

"Oyakata-sama, i humbly accept this task. When i return i shall inform you of his potential after witnessing it with my own eyes."

~Flashback ends~

Rengoku looks at Yozora as the boy suddenly stopped walking. He noticed the boy had a serious expression as he looked at a forest.

"Rengoku-san, i sense some malicious ki in that forest. It's filled with anger and hunger. That must be a demon."

"I see. Very well, we will take down this demon so no one else will be harmed. Time to set our heart ablaze."

Soon Yozora and Rengoku felt the ground trembling. They saw several trees being torn down as something approached them. They each grabbed their own nichirin sword as the demon they were about to fight was a dangerous one.