Kagami x Short! Neko! Reader

"(Y/N), you're going to be late!"

I shoot up from my bed. Late, on my first day? How could I let this happen?

After rushing myself to get ready, I take my time with the finishing touch: a hat. I hope this school doesn't have a policy against hats, I was bullied mercilessly at my old school as a result of that policy.

I run downstairs and out the door, waving to my parents as I leave. After a few moments, I stop.

"Where was my school again?"

I furrow my brow as I look around. All I know is that we're somewhat far away. I don't remember the route, I fell asleep in the car on the way here.

I pull out my phone and start searching for the school. Looking at the 'maps' option, the directions are fairly simple. I start walking, looking down at my phone occasionally to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

I smile as the school comes into view and pull out my phone to turn it off.

Suddenly, a blaring noise deafens me. One second, I'm walking. The next second, I'm on the ground. I groan as I roll over, watching the car that hit me speed away.

Damn. I would understand if they yelled at me and called me a stupid kid for not paying attention, but a hit and run? Grumbling, I get up and walk into the school as if nothing happened.

No one around? Am I really that late? I raise my hand to adjust my hat, but to my surprise, it's not there. I look around, then realization hits me.

"The hat must've fallen off when I was hit. That was my favorite hat, too."

I pull up my hood and move my hair around a bit before taking deep breaths. I approach the classroom and open the door, then the dreaded, cliché thing happens. Everyone in the room turns to look at me, even the teacher, who smiles at me. She stops what she was teaching and walks over to me,

"Hello, I'm Ms. Bustier, the literature teacher. Please introduce yourself to the class with as much or as little information as you like."

I give a small smile as I turn toward the class.

"My name is (Y/N) (L/N). I hope to become good friends with you all in the future."

"That was wonderful, (Y/N). You may sit in the back next to Kagami."

Upon finishing her sentence, a girl in the very back of the class waves at me. As I make my way to her, I realize she hasn't broken eye contact with me this entire time. Creepy.

I take my seat and end up not taking very many notes. Trust me, I tried, but the feeling of being stared at is very off putting.

Eventually, the bell rings and I prepare to leave. However, Kagami stops me. She's tall, very tall, at least compared to me, who is shorter than average height.

"Come with me."

I say nothing and nod, following this stranger around the school into the girls' bathroom. No one else is in here. Kagami stops and faces me.

"You are hurt."

My eyes widen at her words. That could mean a lot of things, but-

Kagami places a hand on my waist and looks to me for approval. I nod, and she lifts up my shirt just enough to show my waist. Even I recoil from looking at it. Black and blue bruising my entire left side, but other than that, no other issues.

Kagami looks at me once more, this time for explanation. I let out a nervous laugh, which is soon replaced by a grunt from Kagami running her hand along the bruise.

"Uh...ha ha... well... I may have been hit by a car on my way here... ha... ha ha."

I see many emotions flash across Kagami's face in a matter of seconds. Shock, anger, concern... I can't even name them all. She just shakes her head and lowers my shirt.

"I just don't understand, how are you not in the hospital with that kind of damage?"

This question I get nervous at. Guaranteed, there are some people who think being a neko is cool because of the cat features on a human body. From my experience, unfortunately, there are also people who are rude and treat you differently because of those features.

"I'm just built different."

I shrug and cross my arms. Kagami just frowns and crosses her arms as well.

"Still, you need to see a doctor. The bruises themselves look awful. There's no way you don't have any internal damage."

I stiffen at this. Kagami notices.

"Uh...I'm not very comfortable going to the hospital."

Kagami grabs my wrist and leads me over to one of the bigger stalls. We go inside and she locks the stall behind her.

Okay, now I'm starting to get nervous. I'm sure anyone could just walk in, but if they see two pairs of feet in one stall, what will they think?

"Someone needs to evaluate the damage. If you don't want to see a doctor, I will do it instead."

My face flares. We just met and Kagami is basically going to see me partially dressed.

WAIT

I bring my hands up and move them over each other a bit.

"I don't think that's a good idea. I'll just deal with it when I get home."

I run my hand through my hair, which causes my hood to fall. When I look back up at Kagami, her eyes are wide. Yikes.

Kagami hasn't said anything. I haven't said anything. She just keeps staring at my cat ears. Huh, wonder how she'll react when-

"Do you have a tail?"

I blink a few times. Okay, so it seems she doesn't mind the cat features as much as other people might. I feel a bubbly feeling inside, but shove it back down and give a bittersweet smile. I nod as I adjust my clothes a bit.

WHOOSH

My tail swings around a bit after being freed. Kagami is... smiling? Huh?

"You're not angry?"

Kagami looks back to me.

"Why would I be?"

She thinks for a few moments before she realizes. As if on instinct, Kagami reaches out and scratches behind my ear. I am filled with bliss and feel a purr forming in my throat, before stopping myself. I blush as I look up at her.

"Hey... so... you don't mind keeping this a secret right?"

I gesture to my ears and tail, before hiding them once again.

Kagami smiles and brings my face close to hers. She connects our lips, but only for a second, before resting her forehead on mine.

"I don't mind. I would love to see what you can do, cutie."