Chapter 1: Wrong Form

Human, my son had been born as human?

Marcy looked just as concerned as me. Her human form revealed how pale her complexion looked. "What will happen to him?" she whispered.

"They're doing tests."

"And then what? He is so small. What if they give him something to make him shift?"

"They will never do that." I kissed the back of her hand. "They won't do anything to our son without our permission."

She nodded and stared forward.

"I'm going to check on him. Alright?"

"See if they can bring him back."

"I will." I kissed the side of her head. Heading out the door, I looked around for the nurses' station. I followed a few signs and found the viewing window. The carts held bundled-up werewolf pups. Mine was not there.

I wandered down the hall.

"It's human?" whispered a nurse.

My chest tightened at the tone of her voice.

"What in the world happened? Did she— with a human?"

"Knock it off, that didn't happen."

"I was there. It came out human, so it wasn't a mix-up. The parents were so shocked. The mother started crying, and the father just stared at the baby."

I frowned. I hadn't expected my first pup to be born human. Anyone would have been surprised.

"They're running tests," whispered the nurse. "Both of the parents were half-human. Our hospitals never had one, but I heard about a pup being born in human form in the hospital on the other side of the mountain range."

"Fallon Midfield."

I jumped at my name.

"That's who's your son you are talking about."

I recognized the doctor's voice.

"He's the alpha's adopted son and has the right to use Midfield as a last name. Watch what you say about his pup. The boy is still a werewolf."

Backing away from the door, I pretended to be searching for my son among the other pups.

"Fallon," said the doctor. "I have your pup."

I smiled. "Oh, good. I was worried. I didn't see him." I peered down at the boy. "He does stand out."

"There's nothing wrong with that." She nodded toward my mate's room. "Let's get this little guy back to his mommy."

I followed behind her.

"Hello, Marcy. I brought your adorable little boy. He needs some cuddle time with his mom."

Marcy held out her arms, and the doctor laid the child into them. She unwrapped the child and laid him on her chest. "Are you sure nothing is wrong?"

The doctor shook her head as I went to stand by my mate. "It's a rare birth defect. He's not the only pup to be born in the wrong form." She checked the tag on the cart. "Little Rudy, right?"

I nodded. "Yes, Rudy."

"Well, Rudy will grow up and be a normal werewolf with a pretty red coat by the looks of that hair," she laughed.

"He'll be able to shift?" asked Marcy. "He can't live his life always looking like a human. No one will believe him that he isn't a human."

The doctor sighed. "Some learn around five. For others, it takes longer. It depends on the pup. I can't give you a definitive answer, but he is far from human. He'll still have toxins and healing enzymes when he's older; it's just the shifting part they struggle with."