Chapter 11: Don't Touch Him (Milo)

I dragged my supplies back to the kitchen and kept my head down, as I went to the supply closet. I didn't need the other slaves knowing I had been punished by the mistress. My stomach was still turning. I had a hard time lifting the bucket to dump it and ended up spilling a little of the soapy water on the floor. After cleaning out the dirt from the bottom, I put the bucket with the others and used a rag to clean up my mess.

"Milo," called the young master.

Clasping my cheek, I felt like crying. What was I going to do? Would he punish me too for making his mother angry? The door swung open and the black werewolf looked at me concerned.

"What's wrong?"

My eyes were burning. I didn't want to tell him. Why couldn't everyone leave me alone?

"Milo." He slipped a hand under the arm and lifted me to my feet. Collin moved my hand. "Oh my god."

I broke down. The tears started to flow. I didn't know what to do. My head was hurting so bad.

"No, no, don't cry." He leaned down to my level. "What happened? Who hurt you?"

"I—I didn't do it good enough." I wiped my face. "I don't feel good."

Collin tilted my head to the side. I closed my eyes tightly as I waited to see what he was going to do. A warm tongue ran across my jaw. The relief was instant. My knees gave out and I was lifted off the ground. I fell into the werewolf's chest. The young master rubbed my back and carried me out of the room.

"Who did this? Who thought it was okay to inject Milo with toxins? Did you sent him out onto the farm?"

Julie shook her head. "I don't know, sir. I didn't know he was hurt. I sent him to clean the hallway on the far side of the mansion. He just got back."

"I want to know who did this. Find out now!" He pointed toward the door.

Julie dropped what she was doing and ran out of the kitchen.

Collin carried me through the dining room. "You're burning." He pressed his hand to my face. "Why are you so warm?" He hurried up the main staircase and went straight to his office. Laying me down, he went into the bathroom.

I face the back of the couch. I just wanted to sleep but there were chores I needed to get done. The mistress was only going to hit me again if she thought I was being lazy.

Collin returned and sat me up. "I'm having them bring up some medicine. Just stay awake until then, alright?"

Falling forward, I rested my head on his shoulder.

He wrapped his arms around me. "Why do you only like me in this form when you're sick?"

"You're fur feels nice."

He nuzzled my cheek. "Who hurt you, Milo?"

"I didn't do it good enough."

"What?"

"The floor. Mistress Rosette was really angry. I redid it. It's better now. I scrubbed it by hand, so it's better now." My eyelids felt really heavy.

"My mother hit you?"

"I didn't clean the floor good enough."

He picked me up and sat down with me in his lap. Collin pulled the robe, that was draped over the couch, over me. Maybe he wasn't that scary in this form. His fur was soft against my skin. Someone was moving around the room, but it was hard to focus.

Collin lifted my head and poured something in my mouth. I choked a little but managed to swallow it. It didn't taste very pleasant. He cradled me in his arms and tucked the robe around my body. Werewolves were so big. Collin made me feel like a child. Why couldn't I taller? If I had been taller, my old master wouldn't have sold me. I wouldn't be working in the kitchen, either. The farmhands wouldn't steal from me if I was stronger. It wasn't fair. It really wasn't fair that I had to be born this way.