Chapter 39: Introduction (Jed)

Axil threw a stack of deep blue clothes at me. "Put that on."

I picked up the human-sized robe. I narrowed my eyes at the werewolf. Why hadn't he gotten this for me weeks ago? Lifting up the other item, I wasn't too sure about the weird skirt. I glanced at Axil. He wasn't paying me much attention as he changed his clothes.

Pulling on the embroidered skirt, I was not impressed. This was way to free for me. I noticed Axil watching me and grabbed the robe with a silver design running along the edges. Sitting down on the bed, I gripped my knees. Every time we went somewhere I ended up being bedridden the next day. I was worried this might end the same way.

"Jedrek, come here."

I glanced over my shoulder. Axil wore a skirt and robe of the same make as mine. I stood and went to him. He lifted up a pendant with a blue diamond in the middle and put it around my neck.

I swallowed hard. "Where are we going?"

He lifted my chin and put another short chain with diamonds embedded throughout it on me. "Let me see your hand."

I held out my right one. He slid a ring onto my finger.

Axil turned my head from side to side. "Go to the bathroom and put some water on your hair." He turned back to his jewelry stand.

He was really making me nervous. I went to do as I was told. After closing the bathroom door, I went to the sink and worked some work through my hair. I glanced at the massive ring on my finger. Why was he dressing me up? My heart was beating so fast. I wanted to know what was going on. All of this seemed too formal. I patted my hair down. What if he was introducing me to the pack? We weren't mated yet. The alpha might force Axil to do it. I clutched the counter. I'd fight him. I'd fight him to the very end, but I was still scared. I couldn't win against a werewolf. I didn't feel like I was a small man by any means, yet Axil tossed me around like I weight the same as Jax.

"God." I sat on my heels and told myself to calm down. I'd be okay. I had fought to survive up to this point and nothing was going to change that.

The door opened. I snapped upright and turned to face him.

"Much better." Axil waved for me. "Let's go."

I left the bathroom. "Where are we going?"

"Come along." He led the way out of the bedroom to the elevator.

"Axil." I stepped inside and stood beside him as the guard pressed the button for the parking garage. "Where are we going?"

He folded his arms. "To see my cousin."

"Cousin?" I peered up at him. "What is all this for, though?" I lifted my arms. "Axil, just tell me."

He didn't. He just stood there. The doors parted and I was quickly ushered into the waiting car.

I sunk into the seat and folded my arms. "Why aren't you tell me? Are you taking me to the alpha? Going to make a public spectacle as he injects me with toxins again? Or is the patriarch going to do it this time?"

Axil sighed and rubbed his forehead. "We're going to your brother's First Appearance."

"My brother? Jax?"

"My mom said they were waiting until he was able to walk and stand on his own."

"Jax is walking." I shook my head in disbelief. "Oh my god." I covered my mouth. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't know how you'd react. I was trying to avoid another one of your tantrums."

I turned toward the window. My stomach sunk. How was Jax going to respond when he saw him? Our mom and dad might be there as well. I leaned over my knees and put my head in my hands.