Chapter 48: Signed

"Are you sure about this?"

I nodded. "The decision was made. Shoving it off onto Drake wouldn't be fair to him."

My grandpa sighed. "I need to be honest with you. I talked to Bruce's mother and told her how you were feeling—how I was feeling. It might be while they change their minds." He drummed his fingers on the steering wheel. "He's a good pup—Bruce."

Taking a deep breath, I opened the door. "When we go back, I think Drake needs a trip to the outlook."

"He's hurting?"

"It's been a while since I've seen him cry."

My grandpa nodded. "He has a lot of pressure on him. Andreas and Max, they expect a lot. I should do a better job at letting him know he's doing really well."

Climbing out, I closed the door and faced the mansion. The only responsibility I've ever been given was being a big brother and I was not going to take that lightly. I walked up the steps and slipped inside. The mansion was quiet as I started upstairs. Stopping outside the door to my uncle's office, I knocked.

"Come in."

I turned the knob and entered.

"Rudy?" The alpha seemed surprised. "Why are... Drake told you." He pushed back his head fur with a sigh. "I was about to call your parents and let them know."

"Don't."

The contract was still sitting on the coffee table with the pen on top. I went to the couch and pulled the paper toward me. I had to do it now before I lost my nerve.

"Rudy, if you sign that, you can't take it back. Gael agreed to take Drake. Bruce said he didn't want to force it."

"I know, but Drake is my brother." I glanced at the alpha. "I want him to be happy, and maybe mating Bruce might cure me." My hand was shaking as I hovered near the bottom.

Andreas sat across from me. "You deserve to be happy too, Rudy."

"I can't be if Drake takes my place. The decision was made and they chose me. It's my responsibility now and I can't expect Drake to give up his future for me. Life hasn't been fair to either of us. I'm realizing that." I scribbled my name on the line. "There." I slid it to him. "It's done." I cleared my eyes. "If that's it, I need to get back to school."

He moved to the other couch and hugged me. "I know it's hard. No one ever wants to give up their pack."

My breath caught.

"Change pack doesn't mean we're not family. We're not going to let you go."

I hid my face in his fur and just cried. I didn't want to leave. I might have signed that paper but I still felt the same. That pain would never go away, but hopefully, with time, it might dull.

***

"You signed it?" said Case.

"Yeah." I stared at the ceiling, feeling hollow. Maybe I was coming to accept it or had grown numb to the idea.

"Did you talk to your parents?"

"No." I shook my head. "My uncle called and told them I wanted to be alone. I don't want them around right now. I've cried enough. I don't want to think about it anymore."

Case wandered over and sat by my feet. "So, how are we going to get me in?"

"In?" I arched a brow, confused.

"To Northern Ridge. Since you're changing packs, that means I have to figure out a way to get my ass over there as well."

I smiled slightly. "You're not going to change packs, Case."