Chapter 21: First Week

I pulled on my dark blue blazer and took a deep breath. The Midfield seal was embroidered on the front. I smoothed out the color. Everyone had to stay in human form here. I could blend in for once.

"Rudy, let's go," called Case. "I want to eat before class."

Leaving the bathroom, I grabbed my bookbag. "I'm ready."

We stepped into the hall. Other boys were outside their rooms as well. They looked to be our age. I was kind of glad we didn't have to share a floor with older dominants.

"Hey, Case." A dark-haired boy waved as we walked past.

He waved back. Others called out to him as we headed for the stairs. Everyone seemed to know him, but Case did go to school with most of them—unlike me. Going outside, we joined the stream of students heading for the cafeteria. Some of the old boys were making me nervous. They were so tall. My dad and uncle were higher ranked, but I was on my own here. If something happened, I'd have to take care of it myself.

We entered the building and stepped into line.

"I'm so hungry," breathed Case. "I hear the food here is awesome. My brothers were talking about it."

"Case!"

I jumped when an older boy with dark brown hair grabbed Case in a headlock.

"Levi!" snapped Case as he pushed the boy away. "Knock it off. Go away."

The boy didn't let go. "Come on, I came by to say hi to my little brother." He pinched Case's cheek.

"You came to cut the line." He shoved Levi away. "Go to the back."

"Nope, I'm good right here."

Levi and Case looked a lot alike. The same dark-brown hair and eyes. Case's skinner was slightly darker—probably from being outside all the time playing soccer.

"So, I'm guessing you're Rudy," said Levi.

I nodded. "Hi."

Levi smiled. "Case talks about you all the time. Like a little fan-girl," he teased.

"I do not! Go away! You're annoying me."

Case's brother laughed. "It's good to finally meet you. I knew about the issue," he said in a low voice.

My chest tightened.

"No one is going to mess with you, pup." He arched a brow. "It's no secret you're the alpha's nephew. That red hair also is a bit of a deterrent to start a fight with you."

I sucked in my lips to keep from smiling. "Are you Case's oldest brother?"

He nodded. "Yep." Checking his phone, he yanked Case to his side. "Connor should be here soon." Levi looked around. "Bruce!" he called. "Up here, I found the pup. He was saving us a spot."

"I was not! You crowded." Case fought free. His hair was standing up as he glared at his brother. "Go to the back!"

"You'd think he was a redhead." Levi rolled his eyes and ignored his little brother as a large figure walked toward us.

I felt myself shrink as a boy with curly black hair approached. He was taller than Levi with broad shoulders. His skin was a rich brown that matched the color of his eyes. This was what a dominant looked like. The boy's rank wasn't something anyone would question. His gaze went from Levi to me before he glanced at Case. Both of us didn't say a word.

"This is Bruce." Levi pointed to him. "My roommate, he's from Northern Ridge."

"Oh," said Case. "That makes sense."