Chapter 50: Alpha General

"Rudy," called my mother. "Rudy, we're sitting down to eat. Come inside."

With a sigh, I stood and met her at the door.

"How'd it go?"

I shrugged. "As expected."

She clasped my hand. "Try to be nice to him. You don't want to hurt his feelings. Bruce is going to be your mate."

"Hmm..." I moved past her and headed for the dining room.

Voices sounded ahead.

"I'm trying..."

I stopped and glanced into the sunroom.

Bruce stood with his ears splayed to the side. "He sat there and wouldn't even try talking to me."

"We've gone over this," said Faye. "It's going to be hard for Rudy. You have to give him time."

Someone grabbed my wrist and pulled me down the hall.

My mother eyed me. "Not appropriate."

"They were talking about me," I muttered.

"Then make yourself known, and don't loiter in the hall. It's not polite. Your attitude is also not helping make this easy for anyone."

"I told him what I thought."

She sighed. "And hurt his feelings in the process. I know you are upset, but be upset with your father and me. Don't take it out on Bruce."

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes.

For a future alpha, I doubted telling him what I thought hurt his feelings. Alphas were born with more confidence than any other werewolf. With a groan, I trudged along behind her to the dining room. It's going to be a long night. I sat down beside my brother.

My father cleared his throat and pointed at the two empty chairs by Andreas. Standing, I marched down the table and sat by my uncle. Gael was across from me.

"The red is showing." He shot me a smirk.

I breathed out through my nose.

Andreas clasped my arm. "Rudy is very level-headed, even with the red fur."

My mouth fell open. "Says two werewolves with red fur."

Gael chuckled. "I wonder if Bruce knows what he's getting into."

Faye smacked the alpha's arm as she sat down. "Leave Rudy alone. Don't stir things up. We don't need more drama just to keep you entertained."

Gael smiled slightly.

Bruce took the seat at my side. He seemed over the situation, and I felt the same. The servants carried in the food and set the plates in front of everyone.

"Meat medley," said Andreas. "A little bit of everything, enjoy."

I pocked at some shrimp and glanced at Bruce. He was glaring at his plate while everyone else had started eating. Our parents started into small talk as we ate. Bruce wasn't moving. He looked like he wanted to throw his plate across the room with his glare alone.

I nudged his arm.

His eyes flicked to me.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I took out being annoyed with my parents' deal on you. I'm sorry."

Letting out a sigh, he nodded.

"I can show you the garden tomorrow," I added. "When it is light enough to actually see it."

He smiled. "Sounds good." Picking up his fork, he started to eat.

I'd try. Would I be happy about it, no. But I'd keep that to myself and make the most of it. Bruce would be my mate, so I might want to start building a relationship that would consume the rest of my life.