Chapter 32: Taming a Werewolf (Jed)

If it wasn't out of pure exhaustion, I never would have been able to sleep. Every time Axil moved, the pulsing pain would return. Even the blanket brushing against the fur that had sprouted all over my body would make my skin prickle.

Axil's alarm went off. I braced myself for when the mattress shift. It wasn't too horrible, but I think it was time for another round of pills.

He walked around the edge of the bed. "How'd you sleep?" Axil reached out for my head.

"Don't." I stared at his hand. "It still hurts when anything touches me."

With a sigh, he folded his arms. "As horrible as it may seem, but if I mate with you, it will take away the pain. You'd be as good as new in a couple of hours."

"No."

He shrugged. "Suit yourself. The werewolf healing ability does come in handy, though."

"No, I went through hell. I'm not going to agree to be your mate now. Besides, the almighty alpha told you to wait."

Axil smiled to himself. "I am the beta. I'm not too worried about it. As long as we mate, my grandfather can't be too mad."

"I'm not going to agree to be your mate."

"We'll see." He scratched under his chin and turned for the bathroom. "My offer still stands. If you wait until the drug wears off, you'll have to go through the shifting again. The other humans that went through it twice say it's not as bad as the first time, but it still feels like your body is being ripped apart."

"No." I moved the blanket over my face.

The bathroom door closed.

I peeked over my shoulder. Finally, Axil was gone. I examined my hand with the white fur on my fingers. White? Where the hell did that come from? I wasn't a sub. The red was dark, darker than my regular hair color. I was kind of curious to see the rest of me. I carefully touched my muzzle and flinched. My jaw was so tender. It was weird that it was a part of me, but not as weird as sprouting a new appendage, though. My tail brushed against my leg. That was probably why my tailbone was aching. I wouldn't be sitting normal for a while.

The shower turned on in the bathroom. I cursed under my breath. Shit, now I needed to piss.

***

(Jax)

Yawning, I stretched my arms overhead. I sat up, feeling energized. I scratched my arm and looked around the room. Max had disappeared. With how light it was outside, I'd say I slept in a bit. I flopped back into the pillows and brushed my fingertips along the new scar. It had been different than the first time. My body reacted to very thing he did to me.

I pressed my knuckles to my lips. It felt good too.

The bedroom door opened. I sat up and pulled the blankets around my waist. I was feeling quite exposed not having fur.

Max entered in his normal form and grinned at me. "I brought you something."

"What?" I moved to the end of the bed.

He dragged a wooden railing into the room and then went back into the hall to bring in another one. "This will help, right?" he said breathing heavily. "Oh!" He hurried back into the hall.

I swung my legs over the side. He found some kind of handrail.

Max returned with one of the werewolves that worked in the mansion. I panicked and snatched a blanket to cover myself. They carried in a mat that had been rolled up.

"I asked Andreas, and he found this." Max undid the strap and kicked the mat so it would unroll in front of me. The other werewolf helped him set up the handrail on either side.

"Thanks." Max waved as he left the room. Standing in front of it, my mate held his arms out. "Will this work?"

I nodded.

"I thought about what we talked about and it has been unfair to you. I can't give you the time you need and making you wait; it's understandable why you were upset with me."

"Wow." I pressed my hand to my cheek. "This is great, Max." I smiled. "Thank you."

"Do you want to try?" He held out his hand.

I nodded and took it. The blanket fell onto the floor when I stood. "Oh um... I guess I should shift." It was easier to balance on my feet. As a werewolf, it felt like I was up on my toes.

"Is it better like this?"

My head snapped up. "My balance is better. Werewolf and human feet are a little different," I laughed hesitantly. "I... I know you prefer..." I turned to the window.

"Wait here." He grabbed my hips and set me on the bed before running off to our closet. Max returned with some shorts. "If it helps you not fall, I'd prefer if you practice as a human." He grinned at me and knelt down.

I covered my mouth and hoped he didn't notice me blushing. Oh god, he was so sweet today. "I can do it."

"It's fine." He put a foot in either side and slid them up my legs. Max lifted me off the bed and kissed my forehead as he pulled them the rest of the way up.

What has gotten into him today? Max took me over to the railing and helped me get settled. I gripped either side and stood there for a moment to get my bearings. My mate hovered to the side as I slowly made my way down the path. The railings were helping. I could lift some of my weight up off my legs. I reached the end.

Max dashed across the room and grabbed a chair. He set it down and motioned for me to sit. "So?" He sat down at my feet and peered up at me.

I covered my face. He was so adorable. The next alpha had turned into the cutest little puppy and he didn't even realize it. Max was too busy massaging my thighs.

"Do you think it'll help?"

"Yeah, it made it a lot easier."

His eyes flicked over to me. "So the other day when you told the doctor you had only tried walking that one time, wasn't exactly true, right?"

"Well"—I took a deep breath—"I get bored."

"Hmm..." He stood and kissed the side of my head. "Please only practice with this when I'm gone. It'll get me some peace of mind."

I nodded. "Yeah. I'll wait until you're here before I get too brave and attempt anything else."

"Great." He kissed me. "I have to go." The werewolf started across the room. "I'll tell them to bring you something to eat. I'll be back in a couple of hours."

I leaned back in my seat and watched him go with his tail flicking back and forth.

"See you later." He waved.

Lifting my hand, I gave him a small smile. "Bye."

The door closed and I knelt on the carpet. "What in the world?" I pushed back my hair from my forehead. Sex, who would have thought that was the secret to taming a werewolf.